Sunday, May 13, 2007

Waffle House, Big Rick, Bill And Bob

Yesterday, Big Rick and his family celebrated his parent's Fiftieth Wedding Anniversary.

Happy Anniversary, Beth and Bill.

Given that Rick spent the day with Mom and Dad, he got dispensation today and played golf with me on Mother's day.

For the second week in a row, Rick and I got our butts whipped by old guys, more on that after Waffle House.

The Waffle House thing. There's a chain here in the Southeast. Waffle House. There's one at pretty much every exit on an Interstate. We ate breakfast at the one at I-85 and Clairmont Road. One of the great things about Waffle House is the short order cooks. They listen, on a weekend to four or five waitresses calling in orders. They line up the plates with bits of stuff on them to tell them what was ordered. If there are hashbrowns in the order, they put a shred or two of them on the plate. You can get them ";scattered' (spread out on the grill), 'smothered' (with onions), 'covered' (with cheese), 'chunked' (with diced ham), 'diced' (with diced tomatoes), 'peppered' (with jalapeno peppers), 'capped' (with mushrooms) and 'topped' (with chili)." Wikipedia of course is the source. Rick this morning suggested getting them, but "hold the potatoes."

An order including cheese on the hashbrowns, grits or meat, gets a piece of cheese on a certain part of the plate to tell the cook where the cheese will fit in to the meal as it is assembled. Another clue involves strategically placed jelly containers. I'm not sure what they signify. Waffle House also has apple butter, an offering that makes all of the grease magically disappear, though that is not a scientific opinion.

A minor player in this morning's WF experience was a waitress explaining grits. Just to our left at the counter there was a couple. It turned out they were from California. It also turned out that they had not watched "My Cousin Vinny," eaten in the South or ever seen even a single grit. The waitress brought their plates. The guy said "what's that?" You can fill in the rest. She had a syrupy sweet, not Atlanta, but South Georgia accent. They all smiled a lot at each other. They finished a bit before we did. He described the meal as interesting.

I'm going to skip the part about the new cook who was quickly in the weeds and the waitress, not the grit lady, who was not quite sure we were directly in front of her when she looked just over our heads.

The golf course is next. I'm not a good golfer. Neither is Rick. I actually have to quibble that statement. We are both good golfers in that we love to play. We abide by the lore, history and etiquette of the game. We fall short, for the most part, on the skill part.

Rick adds to the attraction of us as people to play with as he is loquacious. When we are paired with people, within a hole or two, Rick draws them into our circle. We've never gotten past three or four holes before it turns out we have a new temporary friend or two.

Last week we played with Bill. Bill had had a stroke awhile back. Had nothing to say for two holes. Turned out that was because of the stroke. He figured out about the third hole that we didn't much care how he talked. He proceeded to beat us.

Today we played with Bob. I'd like to say that it was a close match. My parents told me lying was not a good thing. Bob's retired. His Mom is in her mid-nineties. He didn't say much for the first couple of holes. He just scorred par. Rick and I did not shoot par on those holes.

We did have a few pars. We also had more than our share of sixes. Rick had an eight (Rick, get your own blog if you want to take shots at me).

Playing golf with your friends and new friends, however poorly you play the game, is a lot of fun.

Bonus: I have a really good sock tan going.

6 comments:

fermicat said...

Waffle House is so ubiquitous in the southeast that it is not unusual to have two of them at a single intersection, located on opposite corners. They have good grits. And I like my hashbrowns scattered, smothered, covered and peppered. Mmmmmmm. Now I'm hungry.

Dave said...

I could do the covered but not the peppered. I stop at scattered and smothered.

You're so right about the two at the interchange. The one we went to this moring is on the nominally North side of 85. Until about five years ago, it had a twin across the bridge which was less busy (hence its demolition). I'd eye the parking lot on the first and make my choice whether to go a thousand yards down the road.

Not mentioned in the article, Bert's Chili is really good. Now I'm hungry. I'm settling for pork loin, egg noodles and saurkraut.

Monica said...

We had one here but it didn't even last a year. I think it might have something to do with the fact that it was right across the street from Denny's. There are other more strategic places in town that would have worked but no, they had to put it there. Geez.

Dave said...

Where I live, Denny's and Waffle House don't compete for customers until about 2:00 a.m. Then, it's a matter of where the customers make a quick swerve off the road into the parking lot.

In my youthful, I can get up with less than two or three hours sleep days, we used to shut down a bar and then go to the Denny's on Monroe Drive. It's now shut down. Back then it was "Gay Denny's." All of the staff were gay guys. Swishing gay guys. It was strategically located in Midtown Atlanta, equidistant from gay bars, lesbian bars, straight bars and strip joints.

You haven't lived 'til you sat there for an hour or two, people watching at 4:00 a.m.

Monica said...

My mama was a waitress at Sambo's when I was a teenager and on weekends I would be their hostess. All these drunks would come in and ask for my mama's tables. She always got good tips, or what was considered good back then, I guess.

I like to go to the bookstore and people watch as I'm writing and drinking coffee.

Anonymous said...

Well I did par 4 holes....I would have done better if the waffle house waitress had gotten us out of there in time to hit a bucket of balls! Nice post Dave.