Thursday, December 06, 2007

Expertise Needed

Some of you regular readers are internet savvy. Pos.

I have two computers and two Email addresses/domains both serviced by the same company. I've set up the service to send Email sent to either of my addresses, business and personal to both addresses. But, they go to whichever computer is turned on. I know there is a way to have an Email sent to either address delivered to both computers; but, damned if I know what it is. How do I get the server to send the two copies of the Emails I get at the work domain to both the home computer and the work computer? Put differently, hold one of the copies until I turn on the work computer.

I fear that made not enough sense; but, humor me, please.

3 comments:

Posol'stvo the Medved said...

It's all in the mail account settings.

And please humor me while I clarify things a bit... First, your Internet email provider doesn't SEND your messages to either computer. Instead, when you connect with your email program, your computer (actually, the email program) goes to the server and checks to see if there is any mail waiting to be picked up. If so, your computer downloads it. If not, you both go about your day.

There is a setting in the mail account configuration that says something like "Leave a copy of mail on the server." If you choose that option (for alla ccounts on both computers), then if you get your email from your work computer, and then go to your home computer, it will still be there waiting for you even if you already got it at work.

Simple eh?

But here's the catch... if you get a lot of email, such as I do, your mail provider may set limits on how much mail it will allow you to hold on to. And if you exceed that limit, people trying to send you mail *may* get an unfriendly error message that says something like "Mailbox full."

What you maybe can do is once a week set one of the accounts to delete messages after downloading - just once. Another option, if you have a webmail interface to your mail accounts, go in once a week and delete the messages you absolutely know you won't ever need again.

Or you could do what I did -- get one machine (a laptop) that is my home and work machine. And use it for email, and give up on this whole double life thing you have going on.

Dave said...

Pos, Thanks. I will impliment this weekend.

Miss Awesome said...

I've never figured it out- I just use my Outlook box on my main computer and when I'm on my secondary computer, I check my email through the website (yahoo is my provider)and never open Outlook and that way they always get sent to my other box too as long as I don't erase them first.