Sunday, February 17, 2008

110%

That’s the inflation rate for Seiko watches over 21 years.

Back in February 1987 I bought a very plain Seiko watch. Ninety bucks. Over the years, I only had to buy four or five batteries. About a year ago, I cracked the crystal. About the same time, I replaced a battery. The technician said the stem was corroding and would at a point die.

It hadn’t yet reached the age of majority and they’re talking about death?

Last week I inadvertently put it out of its impending misery, by drowning it.

I’m not real competent in the morning. On Tuesday, I turned on the shower and stepped in. With my watch on my wrist. Only for a second. I toweled it off. There was water inside the crystal but it was ticking.

On Wednesday it was still ticking, but with little beads of water under the crystal. Mid-afternoon it ticked its last. The date and time of death were February 13, 2008, at 3:15 p.m., EST. Even in the end it gave me accuracy.

I didn’t take a lot of time to grieve. Thursday I bought pretty much the same watch. Two hundred bucks. It doesn’t have any scratches. We’ll see if it lasts long enough to gain some character.

5 comments:

fermicat said...

RIP, watch.

I stopped wearing them when I realized I never looked at mine. The time is everywhere around you, whether you have a watch on or not.

Dave said...

I read somewhere that the number one use of a cell phone is to see the time.

You're right; but, I still first look at my left wrist, even though as I type this the time is sitting in the lower right hand corner of the screen, on the aforementioned cellphone, on the face of the DVR and if I went to the desktop, on the "analog" clock in the upper right hand corner.

Jeni said...

I haven't had a wristwatch in so many years now - probably close to 25 maybe - simply because I finally gave up on them due to the stupid "allergy" to metals! If it wasn't the area where the face of the watch would break out my wrist, it was where the clasp fastened - couldn't win. So I had to forgo those contraptions or scratch myself to death.

Anonymous said...

Does anybody really know what time it is? Does anybody really care?

If so, I can't imagine why. We've all got time enough to die.

dr sardonicus said...

Sounds like murder, or at least watchslaughter. You're gonna need a good lawyer...