Friday, May 23, 2008

Homosexuality, Competence and Kindness

I saw Big Rick at the neighborhood bar today. He said he was a bit worried about my obsession with gay rights and political stuff in the blog this week. I said something about him being unsure of his masculinity. I mentioned my story about my father posted earlier today that is drawing some nice comments. We went on to talk about coffee beans. All of which leads me to this post. Funny how that happens.

On the way to the bar, I had stopped at the coffee store. Not a Starbucks or another chain, Atlanta Coffee Roasters in the Toco Hills shopping center.

For some years now, I’ve bought beans, ground them and brewed them in a coffee press. I usually only make coffee on the weekend (weekday mornings a cup from QuikTrip makes do). The trick to great coffee is freshly roasted beans. Beans roasted today are better than those roasted yesterday. That being the case, you want to buy fresh and then store them in the dark in an airtight container, some say in the freezer, some disagree.

So, I buy a half-pound at a time. I used to get coffee at a great shop in Marietta, Cool Beans; but, it’s a bit far away and I’ve been going to the shop at Toco Hills for a while now. I’ve never liked it, not because of the product, rather because of the cold workers. No smiles, no interest in helping you as you choose what you want to buy. Today that was different.

The young barista (I hate that word) smiled and asked if she could help me. (It probably didn’t hurt that she was a cute young Emory student if her shirt was telling the truth.) I asked what was recently roasted. She wasn’t sure and went into the back to get the roasting records. I settled on a Costa Rican bean that had been roasted the day before. She paused and then said “I’m not sure what’s on the counter is what was roasted yesterday, let me check in the back.” She came back out with a bag that was the newest roast and weighed my purchase. As I paid, I thanked her for going out of her way for me. In return, I got a beaming smile “I knew if you were smart enough to ask about what was the freshest, you wouldn’t want what wasn’t. I’m the same way. Did you notice I didn’t ask you if you wanted the beans ground (a mortal coffee sin)?”

We then talked about her experiencing Kona coffee roasted a half hour before being brewed before I went on my way.

That’s the competence part of the post.

To go back to my father, as you know from my last post, the UPS guy showed him kindness at the end of his life; but that wasn’t the only expression of it that he received.

He underwent radiation therapy. I went home to visit him towards the end.

In the middle of a conversation, he said, “You want to see my flowers?”

“Your flowers?”

He unbuttoned his shirt and showed me three black magic marker dots in the center of three multi-colored magic marker flowers on his chest.

“When I went in the first time I was really nervous. The girl (people my father’s age called any woman of a certain young age “girl” whether she was a waitress, a doctor or the radiation technician that he met that day) said don’t worry, ‘I’ve got to mess up your chest with this ugly marker for the machine and it won’t wash off too soon; so, if you don’t mind can I make the dots look better with a flower?’ I said OK, but I wasn’t sure. She did pretty good don’t you think?”

“Why are you looking that way? Don’t do that.”

Being the stoic people that we are, he gave me time to get that look, and the liquid, off of my face.

So, how do homosexuality, competence and a double dose of kindness come together?

We might not need my precious Bill of Rights and legalistic arguments if we all learned from the UPS guys, cute baristas and hospital girls of the world. Three people that went out of their way to do right. I’m thinking if you put them together in a room they’d get along nicely. I’m also thinking that there are many more like them out there in the world. They might teach a thing or two to the Reverend Wrights and Hagees of the world. The Bushes and Cheneys. The Jacksons and Sharptons. As cussed, as I call it, as we all are, I still often wonder why so much of our lives embrace conflict.

8 comments:

Keith said...

Kindness is a great trait to have. The UPS guy, barista, and hospital girls all did something kind for someone.

You would think that the reverends would be in that category, but if you don't believe exactly what they think you should believe, then forget about it. Sad but true.

Enjoy your weekend Dave. I'm going to a graduation party tonight for a high school senior that was in my Youth Group awhile back. Watching UFC 83 Ill Will tomorrow night. And then Iron Maiden comes to town Monday night.

Peace!

fermicat said...

I drink tea, not coffee. But that barista sounds like she was on top of things.

As for your Dad's radiation therapy, I am glad those therapists put a human touch on a thing so cold and scientific. That is way more than is in my power to do at work -- I mostly get called in if there is a problem. But none of us should forget that all of our patients are human beings who are uncertain and scared. I love that some therapist somewhere softened a fiducial mark with a flower.

Wendy said...

ahhh! Dave
You make me so proud! You have not only witness a miracle on those days, but you even wrote about it. I like the nice posts.
Easier for this little town girl to understand. I get lost when your loyal, really smart, bloggers start to debate a cause in your blog. Human stuff is so much simpler.....most of the time! you softy you.

Anonymous said...

The key link in all three stories is human interaction.

So much of our lives is spent "cocooning." Big screen TVs so we don't have to go to the movies, internet shopping so we don't have to stand in line, ipods buds in our ears so we don't have to converse with anybody.

Somehow, we've become very shut off from each other, and it's not making us happier.

The other thing that stands out is that these were all small gestures. Nobody made a huge sacrifice in time, money, or even energy- but they all made an impact. These are all things we can do.

Sonja's Mom said...

For some people, if they don't have anger and conflict in their world, they have nothing. These are the people that slways have to be right - my way or the highway. These are the narrow-minded bigots we all encounter every day. Unfortunantely, many of them are so called men of God. The UPS man, the barista and the nurse all have open minds and hearts. They hear the needs of others. Too often, all some people hear is the sound of their oun voices.

Jeni said...

I have one of those little tattoo thingys too from radiation. However, it's in a place that is never gonna find me showing it to anyone else since it is located right about on my tailbone area. Considering the location, plus the extras that go with that area now in the form of more fat cells than I think are really necessary (an on-going fight I have with the fat cells in my body as they keep inviting family and friends to take up residence,) I just don't think it would make for good viewing with or without a floral display there. But I loved the tech person's attitude about making things look better cause looking better often makes us feel better, overall. The coffee beans episode and especially the UPS guy though really gave a very positive feeling that there are a few people out there who are willing to do that little extra to help others, make our lives just a tad better to have known them, etc.

Minnesotablue said...

Another great post Dave. I loveall three stories. It is wonderful to know there are kind people around us.

Gypsy at Heart said...

Wrote a comment and it got lost in dial-up. Will keep it brief this time. Loved the post. ThomaslB said it best for me though everyone chimed in the way I would have. It takes little and gives much. I try to be kind everyday of my life (even to myself). So far so good.