Thursday, May 15, 2008

No Toots If You're Toting

RTW New Service. Atlanta.

Beginning this summer, servers in Georgia restaurants will question patrons ordering drinks.

"Very good Sir, Bombay martini, olive, very dry. And, may I ask Sir, are you packing?"

"Why yes, a Glock nine mil. Oh yes, I forgot, I'll just run it out to the car. Could I have extra olives?"

"Yes Sir, I'll have your cocktail to you before you're back."

Georgia Governor Sonny Perdue just signed a bill allowing people with carry permits to bring their weapons into restaurants and state and local parks and onto MARTA buses and trains. The "tradeoff" is they can't drink there if they're armed. They can re-arm at their car after they get loaded inside.

Restaurant owners, small animals and MARTA drivers are "up in arms," with the latter demanding bullet proof shields. A spokes-animal had not been heard from at the time of publication.

Inexplicably, gun owners cannot bring their weapons into the work place, dry or wet, they must leave them in their car in the parking lot. The USPS exception we surmise.

4 comments:

Sonja's Mom said...

I am so glad to see FL is not the only crazy state in the union.

molly gras said...

And, yes folks, further confirmation of why I had to leave the South!

Hedy said...

Georgia: Where the men carry guns and the squirrels sport tiny Kevlar vests.

fermicat said...

I've been thinking about a post of my own on this topic. We were discussing it at the bar on Friday night. It was about 50-50 on who felt safer and who felt less safe. I think you probably can figure out where I stand on this issue. If not, stay tuned...