Sunday, February 11, 2007

"This Is Not Indicative Of DHL's Service"

For those not interested in reading about bad delivery service, move right along; but, do come back.

Since Tuesday DHL has had a package for me, somewhere in Atlanta.

On Wednesday, using the tracking number, I learned that they had “attempted delivery” at about noon on Tuesday. I thought that to be strange since I was at my office at that time.

I called them and learned that the “attempted delivery” translated into they had Building B instead of Building 1 on the label; they had mis-copied it from the bill of lading. I corrected their mistake and the representative told me I would be called within an hour to advise whether the package would be delivered yet that day, or on Thursday.

No call.

No delivery on Wednesday.

No delivery on Thursday.

Friday morning, I called and the representative advised that in addition to the Building number (they still showed B), they needed a suite number. The fact that no one had called to ask for a suite number since Wednesday aside, I have no suite number. There is a building. It has a door. When you walk in you are in my office. I told the representative this. She said someone would call to tell me whether the package would come Friday afternoon or on Monday. Sound familiar?

I wrote an Email to DHL setting out all of the above information. I got a fairly quick reply which apologized and told me that “this is not indicative of DHL’s service,” (no it wasn’t, it was soon to get worse) but that the “local station” has advised that it needed a suite number.

I replied to the Email, again advising that there was no suite number; just come to the building, someone will be there to take the package.

No call during office hours on Friday.

This morning I went into the office and got a voice mail left Friday evening telling me the package would not be delivered on Friday (duh) and that I had to call them to give them a suite number so that it could be delivered on Monday.

I called and repeated all of the above and the representative said someone would call me in the morning to confirm delivery. None of the above was recorded on his tracking screen. I told him not to have someone call, just deliver the package. He said it would get done and he would call anyway. I told him my money was against him but that I wished him well.


When they call tomorrow I’m going to tell them I’m in suite 2525, it has a ring to it, and who knows, maybe then they will “attempt delivery.”

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Whatever happened to customer service?

Dave said...

Kurt,

All you need is a suite number from my experience. Regards.

Ron Davison said...

DHL Q: What is your suite number?
Dave: Suite mother of ...
DHL: Your suite number is actually a name? Mother?
Dave: Sure. I mean yes.


At this point one can only imagine that they're requiring strict adherence to rather mindless rules as preparation for turning the work over to robots. This is called beta testing.

Dave said...

What turn over? The robots have different voices, an improvement on HAL; but, the "work" has been turned over.

Anonymous said...

My idiot brother-in-law worked for DHL. He's chronically drunk, and none too bright when he's sober, but they kept him for nearly 12 years because he was the best they had.

This sounds vaguely like that old Cheech and Chong routine: "Dave's not here, man." That might actually be the way to go- refuse delivery, they'll return it to the sender, and they can reship it using UPS.