Saturday, February 10, 2007

Vista Report

A few days ago I posted that I didn't know whether to "turn off" Vista and run it as XP until the bugs are found over the next few months.

I decided to run Vista. There are a few issues, mostly with compatibility with vendor programs and older software that I have tried to install. The best news, it talks to Office 2000 from my old dead laptop, so I don't have to spend money on Office 2007.

It won't talk to MGI Photosuite II, admittedly, a program that is seven or eight years old.

At first, it would not install AVG anti-virus, but this morning it relented and AVG is operational.

ZoneAlarm firewall isn't compatible. An annoying aspect of trying to install it; Vista doesn't tell you it is not compatible until after the download and installation.

Canon does not offer Vista drivers for my digital camera (four years old) or my photo printer (three years old) and advises that it isn't going to. Hopefully, I can find a driver in the Windows driver wizard that will work. If not, after decades of Canon use, I am shut of them.

As to Microsoft's "WOW" campaign for Vista, if you have installed the latest Internet Explorer (7?) and SP II, you have most of what Vista is. Graphics are a bit different. Search in Vista is light years ahead of XP. It is fast.

Finally, I think I have found an actual bug. Whether I am connecting through the LAN at the office or by WiFi at home, IE occasionally shunts me to "working offline." No problem with getting back on once I found out where the drop down for offline is; but, annoying anyway.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Does your camera have one of those tiny little removable media cards? (I can't think of the proper name right now. About two-o'clock tomorrow morning, when nobody cares anymore, it will pop into my head.)

Anyway, I've never even tried to hook my camera directly to my PC. I bought a little media card input for about $10, pop the card in, and the computer treats it like a hard drive.

Dave said...

I think I know what you are talking about. It goes into the PCMIA slot or something like that. The card that comes out of the camera is a "CF" card which doesn't fit the computer; but, now that you mention it, it think Canon sells what you are talking about.

Thanks.

fermicat said...

I had to uninstall SP2 because it screwed my computer up, so I guess I will never be tempted to buy the Vista upgrade.