Tuesday, October 02, 2007

Distinctions Without a Difference

In law school you get taught about material facts. There is a famous case (at least famous to people that went to the University of Miami and took “Legal Reasoning” when I did) about a car accident. Damned, but I can’t remember the name of the case. I think it was written by Benjamin Cardozo. But, at its center is a “blue Buick” which teaches you about material facts.

Is either the fact that the vehicle is blue or a Buick material to the legal issue? Well that depends. The case is about an auto accident. Do the legal issues to be resolved include whether the brakes contributed to the accident? If so, the fact that they are Buick brakes and thus Buick might have some responsibility makes Buickness a material fact. Did the accident happen at an intersection that happened to have a building with a blue wall there, from which direction the Buick came from, which might be why the other driver didn’t see it and thus crashed into it? Again if so, the vehicle’s blueness might be a material fact. If no is the answer to both questions, then the only material fact is that the blue Buick is a vehicle that crashed with another vehicle. The hunt for materiality must go on.

So where is this going? Well, I’ll tell you.

Rush Limbaugh and Bill O’Reilly are up in arms about Media Matters calling Rush out for referring to “phony soldiers,” the plural is important to the rhubarb. Rush dissed soldiers who opposed the war, or maybe he dissed one soldier, a guy named Jesse McBeth (who happened to have washed out of basic training, presented himself as a veteran and told the media he didn’t like the war) labelling him or them as phony. Media Matters jumped on it saying Rush was dissing all of our soldiers who weren’t in line with Rush and the Administration. Rush, rushed back saying he was only dissing Jesse.

Both sides miss the point. Whether the disses are singular or plural is not material. What is material is that Rush thinks less of those that oppose the war than those that support the war. That being so, he labels him or them as phony, so as to reduce their, or his, credibility. He doesn’t bother to examine what is being said and whether it has merit whether said by a serving soldier, an honorably discharged soldier or a Jesse. Rather he attacks who says it and dismisses or supports what they say based on the position taken on the war without analysis, masking his factually unsupported attack by using the phony label.

Rush isn’t a lawyer to my knowledge. I suppose Media Matters has a few on staff or available. Both sides ought to think about materiality before they engage the next time. The debate might be more material to the issues that face us, rather than wasting our time distinguishing differences that mean nothing.

UPDATE: The case is McPherson v. Buick Motor Co.. It is indeed by Justice Cardozo, then on the New York Court of Appeals, early in the last century. I can't find the actual opinion to make sure the Buick was blue, but that is my recollection. Having done the search, I've remembered that the case is also famous for a more important matter than teaching baby lawyers about materiality. It expanded tort, or negligence, law. The case found Buick had a duty to inspect the parts it bought from others, and failing in that duty, despite not being "in privity of contract" to be liable to people like McPherson, who bought the car from a dealer, who were injured when a part fell apart (a wheel) and the facts showed that an inspection would have shown that it was defective.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

I wish they taught that course in our public schools. If everyone was taught to separate the wheat from the chafe, this would be a very different country.

Jeni said...

Phew! My head is spinning, blue buicks, what's material, phony soldiers which, by the way, I rarely ever stop on the Fox news channel but for some reason this morning, I had it on and heard a bit of Rush doing his rushing on and bad-mouthing Rep. Murtha and another guy -is there a Sen. Reid involved somehow in this debate too? I dunno, might have that name intermingled incorrectly there.
But you said you don't think Rush is a lawyer but if he is (or were) then thinking of the joke that has a punch line of "a good start" and involves supposedly drowning lawyers, well I think Rush should be the first one put out to sea with 500 pound weights attached to him. Now, if you didn't know my opinion before about Rush, you do now! Jackass, pure unmitigated jackass! (And for a variety of reasons too.)

dr sardonicus said...

Rush is no lawyer, but he comes from a family of prominent attorneys, so sometimes he acts like he knows about legal issues. Rush dropped out of college after one semester to work full-time in radio. His family reacted as if he had run off to join the circus.

Even after Rush was making $20 million a year in the talk-show biz, his father told him that he should have gone to law school. Rush once said in an interview that his bigest disappointment in life was that he never heard his father say "Son, I'm proud of you".

Dave said...

Thanks for stopping by guys and girl. I think I have to stop writing about law. I just re-read the post and all of the long, long sentences that are for the most part, on quick review, actual sentences, but are way too long. I promise that when I write at work I take more time at it. The sentences are short and pithy. Kind of sixth gradish. Thesis, explication, summary.

Ryan said...

Dave, that was a fascinating post. I paid no attention to the long sentences, but the actual point grabbed my attention. I would never look at a situation in that light... maybe because I'm not a lawyer.

Very interesting

fermicat said...

Good post, Dave. Political discourse would be much more appealing if it stuck to material facts rather than irrelevant arguments and name calling. Too often the salvos back and forth are completely nonsensical and have nothing to do with facts, material or not.

molly gras said...

"The sentences are short and pithy. Kind of sixth gradish. Thesis, explication, summary."

Ummm ... could you make a guest appearance and help me teach some of my sixth graders how writing is really supposed to work.

Much obliged

The Curmudgeon said...

If people started sticking to material facts, avoiding ad hominem attacks, and using logic (even occasionally) cable news and most politicians would go out of business.

Do you want to be responsible for inflicting such damage on the American economy?

Well, do you?

Dave said...

Though I think they were at it yesterday, Democrats in Congress are now pushing a resolution to condemn, or something, Limbaugh. As best I can tell, they feel it's justified because the GOP wanted something similar with MoveOn.org and the Betray Us flap.

God, save us from ourselves.

Oh, and Curmudgeon, all the pols and media types that would be out of work could start making toys to replace those from China; or, replace the illegals that the pols talk about getting rid of but do nothing about; or, get jobs in the private sector replacing the execs of companies that went to jail for hiring the illegals, once the feds started enforcing that part of the laws already in place. I seem to favor long sentences this week.

Becky C. said...

It was a step toward the concept of strict liability.

In my mind Limbaugh is strictly liable for any of his lame brain stuff:)

~Becky

Debo Blue said...

I like it when you write about law. Teaches me something new. I never thought about materiality or whatever it's called so now I'm feeling a bit superior, thanks to you.

Life Hiker said...

The Buick case was about an injury that would not have occurred if the automaker had inspected the part before putting it on the car.

I think the case is pertinent to Limbaugh. He has a "screw loose", and he certainly has injured our country. Ha, ha.

However, the truth is that Limbaugh is a smart guy who knows exactly what he's doing. He may be the whoring mouthpiece of the Bush administration, but you have to admit that the job pays well.

His listeners - and I long ago ceased being one of them - love the way he feeds their anger and makes them feel superior. Someone has to cater to this brain-dead bunch, and Limbaugh is the guy. I call him a "phony patriot".

SonjaB said...

If I am opposed to the war and/or the Bush administration, I am considered by some to be unpatriotic, and am told the the soldiers are fighting for my freedom. What I find ironic is the fact that one of those freedoms is the right to freely speak my mind and freely and democratically oppose to what my government is doing.

Strange....