Tuesday, November 27, 2007

How Many Cellphones Do You Have In Your Closet?

I have a number. I know right where they are, with their chargers and owner manuals. Once I signed up for another year or two and got the shining new phone, I didn’t think about them again.

I know they were free, or quite cheap, given the service commitment and the monthly price. Throw-a-ways, like a malfunctioning VCR, DVD player or TV.

But the wireless world, boys and girls, is a changin’. Two things are helping or hurting the current model, depending on your viewpoint. The Government which owns our air is going to auction TV “spectrum” that is now reserved for broadcast UHF. For those of you that are young, Google the term. You’ll be amazed to know that TV’s used to have two knobs that clicked as you turned them. I know, I know, don’t believe me, go, find out from the company that does no evil. Soon there will be no analog TV. The spectrum needed for digital broadcast TV will be much less than is now reserved for it. The Feds are going to sell it to the wireless companies.

Said non-evil company is lobbying to set the rules for the auction so that bidders for the spectrum have to agree to not tie equipment to access to service. Kind of like open source software, but not quite.

And now, Verizon has announced that it will voluntarily offer two ways for customers to use its air. What we have now and the new Verizon “BYOC” model (C standing for cellular device). I think, Verizon doesn’t want to be mandated to open its air and it is getting ahead of the curve, I think also, a good thing.

As an example of the difference this makes, think of the world today if Microsoft had been able not to just steal its operating system and make it the dominant system in the world, but if a law said that if you want to operate a computer or access the Internet you have to use Windows. Though not as dominant as the Evil Empire, wireless transmission today is dominated in the U.S. by AT&T, Verizon, Sprint/Nextel and T-Mobile (?), the first two by far the dominant players. If you want access to their systems, you buy their devices. Period. End of discussion.

This has led to the pipeline providers dictating what the device providers offer. Think of all the ads that the wireless companies run telling you that you can get a Razr, now an I-Phone, etc. but only if you sign a two year contract with them and only them.

Actually I just thought of another major event in this shift, the I-Phone. Apple, the device provider had the upper hand in its relationship with AT&T, the pipeline provider. Think of Apple, Nokia, Samsung and Motorola competing with each other for all of the market, unfiltered by the deals they now have to make with the wireless companies. If a device maker like Apple was faced with a market of other makers that used 3G transmission for a similar product, do you think I-Phones would be limited to Edge? I don’t. (All of AT&T’s other wireless products have 3G, why limit the I-Phone to the slower Edge? I don’t know but it wouldn’t happen if there were real competition for the best device over the entire wireless market.)

No big finish here, I just think there will be some interesting changes coming as I type this post on my Dell laptop, about to send it to Blogger over my AT&T wireless broadband connection that costs too much – maybe soon I can threaten to move to Verizon, something I can’t do now without buying a different card that works on Verizon’s network and then sign up for a couple of years of servitude. There’s the word to wrap this up, servitude. Thank God Almighty, we may be free at last.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great finish Dave:-)

PS-I'm still a bit worried about the demise of the analog tv. I too remember when tvs had two dials. Back then all the cheap, fuzzy-looking stations that played old movies or rap videos were relegated to the UHF stations. But change will happen no matter what we do.

Debo Blue

Dave said...

Debo, that would be Channel 50 in Detroit, wonderfully bad TV. If you have cable or satellite, the switch doesn't matter. Only broadcast TV is effected. Converter boxes will be available and there is a $40, I think, rebate of sorts funded by the government if you buy one.

fermicat said...

It has been interesting to see how regulations lag behind technology development. The people who make the rules never seem to forsee all of the changes that are possible, and we end up with suboptimal results.

In spite of not being an early adopter, I would consider getting an iPhone if I could do it and keep Verizon as my wireless provider.

I'm still using the phone I got in January of 2001. The antenna broke off about three years ago, but it still functions OK enough. One of these days I may upgrade, but it isn't a high priority.

Anonymous said...

There are a lot of charities that accept donated cell phones. Just do a google search on "donate cell phone" and you'll get a couple hundred options.

Some of them actually use the phones, and some of them sell the phones and use the proceeds.

Posol'stvo the Medved said...

Analog TV stinks compared to digital. Unless you get a day when signal strength is low. When that happens, you don't get a bad picture -- you get NO picture. But digital television is crisp and clear.

Having grown up with ghosting and snow all over my screens, I am pleased as punch not to have to deal with that anymore.

The Exception said...

I am looking forward to being able to buy the phone I want and use it with my prefered carrier. In fact, I am hoping that my Nokia holds on that long as I love my Nokia but Sprint and Nokia no longer have a contract!

And I want to order the Channels I want to watch and not pay for the others!

Ah, the future is bright.

Dave said...

Exception, the TV thing is even more interesting. I have DirecTv with however many channels it has. I watch on the very outside, forty? The only reason I have the Digital Plus something or other is to get two of the lame ten or fifteen channels it adds. Your mouth to the TV pipeline gods' ears.

Dave said...

Should that have been words to ears?

Ron Davison said...

It's an interesting thing - the electronic garbage that contains private information and, technically, still works. I've got old computers (with hard drives) cell phones, zip drives, etc. They have become clutter, but I don't want to dump them where information as varied as account information and viewing history can be culled from them.