Friday, March 28, 2008

Big Rick Says It's Me

I’m betting it’s you. Rick and I had a beer at the neighborhood place today. I asked him if he’d read my post about taxing personal use of company cell phone use. He had. He went on to tell me that no one was commenting on my posts, something that I’d noticed. “You’ve lost all twelve of your readers.”

As it turns out, no I haven’t. I went to Sitemeter.com for the first time in awhile. All of you are visiting the site at exactly the same rate you have for the last five or six months, just over 30 hits a day.

You just have nothing to say. Or, if you have something to say, what I’m writing isn’t inspiring you to say it.

I learned from my visit to Sitemeter that my 15,000th visitor was here late last week. I thank you, whomever you are.

So, thanks for stopping by, quite regularly. I understand not leaving a comment. I read most of you regularly and don’t say anything. Sometimes, often, I love what you’ve written, I just have nothing to add, doesn’t mean I’m not here and appreciating what you have to say. That’s why you’re not talking to me, it is isn’t it?

10 comments:

SonjaB said...

I love what you blog. Usually I don't comment, because I have no idea what your talking about, and I don't want to look dumb.

Plus the word verification is a pain in the butt.

Dave said...

I hate the verification too. I had some comment spam a month or so ago. That may coincide with the reduction in comments. Lazy people you! I'm going to turn it off.

Sonja, you have a freaking Ph.D. Half the battle is to talk/write. Over half the time, no one calls you on the stupid stuff. That's how I get by.

Hedy said...

Hey Dave - I've been plenty quiet lately, not sure why. I'm noodling on your death penalty issue and seriously thinking about getting my own mobile phone now. Have a great weekend and keep writing. :)

dr sardonicus said...

I think a lot of folks are still on spring break...

There's times that I don't have time to leave a comment; there's other times where I have nothing intelligent to add to the conversation. But I always try to stop in to read regularly.

Posol'stvo the Medved said...

I read regularly. But I am the kind of guy who can comment you to death if I actually type every single random thought that pops into my head (when I have time).

Case in point -- your rant about Sunday alcohol sales in Georgia -- my thoughts on this when I read it related to PA blue laws, and how stupid I think they are. Which is only marginally relevant.

So anyway, Rick is wrong. It's not you Dave, it's us.

Jeni said...

Well, here's my say from at least the fifth of your twelve readers. If it's spring break holding commenters back, then I think I'm still on spring break from a few years ago - just get slower and slower by the day. But too, like Pos, and as you know from some days when I do get ambitious enough or inspired to comment, I frequently go for overkill. And then, like Sonjab says, sometimes I just have not a clue as to what the heck you said or how to put it into context into my own reality space -whatever the hell that might be, ya know. That doesn't mean your posts aren't well-written, or anything like that -just that sometimes you do touch on stuff that has never entered my head and if it has, there wasn't enough room there for it to find a safe place to stay. (A lot of information I come in contact has problems finding a "safe haven" in my pea brain ya know!)
But I come by every time you post -whether I comment or not! Just wanted to let you know that.

Minnesotablue said...

Dave: Read your post and check often waiting for a new one to come along. Sometimes I feel like I am a bit out of your league in writing but I do so enjoy you. Keep up the good work

molly gras said...

I think Big Rick is messin' wit ya!

I think everyone else has summed up the dilemma quite nicely -- everyone's suffering from mental inertia: like to read ... unable to formulate comments.

Offer your pal another beer ... just make sure it's not Sunday and that you have extras in the frig.

Cheers :)

fermicat said...

I haven't had as much time for blogs as I would like. So I do a lot more reading (yes, sometimes just from my feed reader so you don't even know it), and not much commenting.

I also try to avoid writing comments when I've had a few drinks. Learned that the hard way!

That girl said...

Dahlin' I just read this post.

Didn't want you to think I didn't want to say hi.