Thursday, March 13, 2008

Cat People Needed

I live in a complex. Lots of doors. For the past month or two there's been a little cat, mostly black with white feet hanging around the doors nearby. It used to run when I came near. I think I know where its owner lives, if it has an owner.

About an hour ago I ran out to get something I'd forgotten to make some dinner. When I opened the door, there it was, on the mat laying against the door.

I've always said hello to the cat before it ran away as I approached. Tonight, it didn't run away. As I talked to it and held out my hand, it approached and I rubbed its back as it meowed. It seemed distinctly unhappy as I left.

Here's my problem. If it is now approaching me, I'm thinking that it is not being cared for by its owner.

If I feed it, I'm gaining a cat. If I ignore it, I'm feeling guilty. I don't want a cat; but, I don't want it to suffer. Or, am I entirely misunderstanding the dynamics of cats and their owners?

Fermi? Thomas?

7 comments:

SonjaB said...

Does it look good? Do it look malnourished or is it's fur matted, like it's uncared for?

Yes if you feed it you will gain a new cats.

Nothing wrong with a cute little kitty though.

Keith said...

I've got your answer. 357 Magnum.

I hate cats. But seriously, I would never hurt one. I have two dogs, and the cats sit up on the block wall out back knowing that my dogs can't reach them. I wouldn't want to be there if one of the cats stumbled and fell into my yard.

Wait for someone who knows cats to comment. Good luck!

fermicat said...

If you feed it, it's yours.

If you care about its welfare, and don't want to feed it, and think it is neglected, you can trap it and take it to the Atlanta Humane Society on 10th St. They are now a no-kill shelter. Not sure what would happen if you called Animal Control, but probably nothing good. If AHS won't take it, there are some other local no-kill shelters - google them.

Are you sure you don't want a cat? They are great pets. ;-)

Anonymous said...

Sonja's Mom says -
Cats are great. We had ours for 18 years before it died of old age and I would love to have another one. Sonjab has two black & whites. If you think you know who the owner is, go knock on his door - see what the story is and then make decisions from there. Maybe it just wants a new friend.

Anonymous said...

It's not unusual at all for outdoor cats to have several "owners," who they visit in a little circuit.

If you decide to take it in, I think the first thing to do is put a collar on it with your name- and see if anyone calls to ask what your name is doing on their cat.

Posol'stvo the Medved said...

If you think you know where the owners live, you could maybe "helpfully" return their cat to them, explaining that you think he/she may be trying to adopt you. If they appear indifferent, and if the cat shows signs of neglect, you might mention your concern to them.

Then if the neglect and what have you continues, you could hold the cat long enough to let them know that you intend to take it to an animal shelter if the neglect continues.

Then if it still continues, follow through on your plan.

Of course, if these people are armed and dangerous, you might come up with an alternative course of action...

The Exception said...

Poor kitty. You must update as to what happened. Cats do have several "friends" if they spend a lot of time outdoors. They adopt people more than people adopt them. They are, honestly, great pets though so... if you check with the people to whom you think the cat belongs and it doesn't... well, maybe Dave needs a cat for some reason unbeknownst to you?