Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Terrible Twos

Reading Doc Sardonicus at Pole Hill Sanitarium on Monday, about it being the second anniversary of his blog, got me to investigating. Turns out that Rather Than Working turned two yesterday. Here's the first post in its entirety:

"Should anyone happen upon this blog, you may safely move on. I created it about five minutes ago and I am playing with it to learn how to do this. Come back in a month or so. It will either be gone due to lack of interest or ability on my part; or, there might be something here to interest you."

My interest has flagged a few times. Some of the posts don't show the full ability I'd like. Some of what I've written hasn't been fully captivating. Other times just the opposites are true. As an aside, I find it interesting that I will really be happy with a post, and it draws no comments from readers. Other times, I throw out what I think of as a throw away, and it strikes a chord with ya'll.

As of midnight last night I'd had 21,303 visitors (that registered with Sitemeter). Big Rick says there are twenty people that read it and have nothing better to do than come back a couple of times a day. That is probably closer to the truth than I like to think about. Thanks to all twenty of you.

And, thanks for your comments and own postings. They bring pleasure to me each and every day.

So, now that I'm a toddler, we'll see if the phrase terrible twos has any meaning. Come along to find out.

12 comments:

Jeni said...

Something you just "toss out" huh? Ya know Dave, I've read lots and lots of posts here -some that are so far over my head that I don't even think about trying to comprehend what you are saying, others that are funny, contemplative, sad -runs the gamut -but I'm really glad I found your blog cause it generally does entertain me, frequently teaches me things and almost always does make me think -even the ones where I have no clue what in blazes you are talking about. (Many of that type seem to involve mega legal points -or golf.)
I think I'd change your header to the "Terrific Twos" or something like that. I guess I'm one of your "20" readers then, huh?

Posol'stvo the Medved said...

Funny. Two years doesn't seem like a long time, but I feel like you and I have been corresponding forever. How very paradoxical.

Congrats. When Niagaran Pebbles turns 4 next spring, I'll be sure to let you know.

Dave said...

Golf's not hard Jeni, I'll teach you. Law is boring, don't bother.

Pos, it's worse than you think. It was, what six months of me reading and commenting at your place before you came out of the cave, as you describe it. But yes, you and the others are a regular part of my life. Cyber pen pals?

That girl said...

I hope you won't have to start asking "WHY" in your posts now...isn't that what 2 year olds do...always ask "Why"?

Debo Blue said...

Happy Birthday Dave! Congrats on the new home. When's the Blogger invite to the housewarming party?

Debo Blue said...

PS-I'll bring a plant. A real one:-)

dr sardonicus said...

There's apparently some sort of serendipity between us, seeing as how we started at almost exactly the same time. Congratulations.

Keith said...

I appreciate your posts Dave. Had you not stumbled upon my blog somehow and commented, I would have never known your blog existed. But I am so glad you did.

Keep them coming my friend.

The Curmudgeon said...

"Law is boring, don't bother.?"

If it were otherwise, would we blog?

Happy Blogiversary.

Wendy said...

Jeni,

Oh thank God, I though I was the only one whom was a little confused from time to time!

Dave, I second Jeni's comments almost to the "T". You always keep me thinking and learning, So at two you must be some sort of prodogi(sp)

A toast to you on turning two, here here.....

Posol'stvo the Medved said...

November of 2006 was the first recorded comment from you at my place. So it was actually less than two years we've "known" each other.

But that's the weird thing. I do feel like I know you. We don't always agree. We don't always see eye to eye. And we like to write about different things. But at times, you (and my other circle of blogger buddies) are closer friends than some of my in-person friends.

I attribute that primarily to me being true to who I really am underneath it all here, and your (collective) general acceptance of that. Too many of my in-person friends have their minds made up about things and have no interest in listening to alternatives. And I'm all about listening to alternatives, and presenting alternatives. So I keep my yap shut about my real opinions. No use wasting my breath.

So. Thanks! Here's to many more years to come.

Jenn said...

I am guilty of checking in on you a couple times a week! I find your blog light hearted, fun, intresting, and usually a great read.
CONGRATS on your second blogaversery.