Sunday, December 06, 2009

If I were in retail, I don't know that I'd be afraid of Walmart

If I were in retail, I don't know that I'd be afraid of Walmart

I didn't used to shop at Walmart as it hadn't moved into urban areas. A couple of years ago it opened a store a couple of miles from my office. Early on I tried it for groceries, finding that it wasn't much cheaper and didn't carry a lot of things that I regularly bought. Score a point for Kroger.

Over the last couple of years I've bought a few things, a wheeled travel bag, a few shirts, a couple of pairs of slacks. Maybe I'm snake-bitten; but, the bag's zipper froze on the first trip, two of the shirts had bad stitching, as did one of the pair of slacks. Score a point for K & G (local discount clothing store) and Target.

I wanted to buy a roasting pan with a rack this weekend. Cook's Warehouse in Decatur had several fine examples, starting above $50.00 and going into three figures. Target had a really poor selection. On to Walmart. I'm the proud owner of a Graniteware (porcelain enameled metal) pan (the old timey kind, black with white speckles) with a quite nice rack in it. The price? $9.99. We'll see how it works before I give a point to Walmart.

No comments: