Thursday, April 12, 2007

36 Seconds Shouldn't Bother Me, Should It?

pentagon.mil That's what Sitemeter listed for the domain that was the 2,755th person that has visited my blog at 11:55:07 a.m. this morning. Every now and then I see how many people, and generally where they're from, have hit me. As of about 6:15 p.m. today, I'd had 24 visits, including someone from pentagon.mil getting an early start on his or her lunch hour, right?

Here's what Sitemeter had for "Detail" for the visit:

IP Address

140.185.55.# (The Pentagon)
ISP

The Pentagon
Location

Continent
:
North America
Country
:
United States (Facts)
State
:
Virginia
City
:
Alexandria
Lat/Long
:
38.7909, -77.0947
(Map)
Language

English (United States)en-us
Operating System

Microsoft WinXP
Browser

Internet Explorer 6.0Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.1; SV1; DoD OGC; .NET CLR 1.1.4322; InfoPath.1)
Javascript

version 1.3
Monitor

Resolution
:
1280 x 1024
Color Depth
:
32 bits
Time of Visit

Apr 12 2007 11:55:07 am
Last Page View

Apr 12 2007 11:55:43 am
Visit Length

36 seconds
Page Views

1
Referring URL
http://www.google.co...&hl=en&start=90&sa=N
Search Engine
google.com
Search Words
statements obtained by torture
Visit Entry Page

http://ratherthanwor...bad-coercion-ok.html
Visit Exit Page

http://ratherthanwor...bad-coercion-ok.html
Out Click

Living Next Door To Alice
http://livingnextdoo...oalice.blogspot.com/
Time Zone

UTC-5:00
Visitor's Time

Apr 12 2007 11:55:07 am
Visit Number

2,755


Just some secretary surfing. They thought they'd do some light reading, so they did a Google search on "statements obtained by torture." That brought the off duty (right?) employee to my post awhile back titled "Torture: Kind Of Bad. Coercion - OK."

So, lawyer that I am, I decided to test my theory that our friend at the Pentagon was surfing during the lunch hour. I Googled "statements obtained by torture." I'm less happy. Here's me:

Rather Than Working: Torture: Kind Of Bad. Coercion: OK.
It will not use statements obtained by torture. It will use physical evidence obtained by torture. Coercion? No problem, coerce away, the statements and ...ratherthanworking.blogspot.com/2007/01/torture-kind-of-bad-coercion-ok.html - 60k - Cached - Similar pages - Note this

This result, unfortunately for my theory, was found midway through the tenth page of results. I guess our, now my, Pentagon friend was working when he or she clicked on my blog.

But s/he was only there for 36 seconds. Can't do much reading in that little time. How fast can you cut and paste, for later more leisurely reading? Just tried it. Quite fast, thank you.

OK, so far I've written this with a somewhat humorous intent.

Some righteous outrage: What the hell is a Pentagon employee spending time searching Google for people talking about statements obtained by torture for? I'm not a terrorist. I'm not a threat to the security of the United States. If I were, I certainly wouldn't be stupid enough to post my thoughts on Blogspot. The Pentagon has no rational reason to worry about the fact that I think its coercion, or whatever it wants to call it, is violating the Constitution.

I'm going to stop now. I haven't really thought this through and the more I think, the more pissed I'm getting.

If you go back to the detail section, you'll see that my new friend "out clicked" to thomaslb's blog, "Living Next Door To Alice" which is in my "Recommended" sidebar. If any of you in the sidebar want me to take you out of the list, let me know (the Email address is in my Profile). I think thomas and I need to start reading The Patriot Act.

One positive thing, I guess, the NSA, CIA or whomever isn't sharing Predator info or the results of their warrantless searches with the Pentagon, otherwise, my new friend wouldn't be using Google.

9 comments:

The Curmudgeon said...

I freaked the first time I saw that address in my Sitemeter too -- I forget what quasi-controversial post I'd put up... but checking the Google search that brought the Pentagon to my corner of the Internet, I discovered that my visitor was looking for information on Chrissy Popadics -- the Boise State cheerleader.... I posted about that....

Anonymous said...

Sedition, Incitement, Making fun of the President, and Mitt Romney.
Trying to start an international incident with Karmulastan (which they are now probably planning ot invade).
Dude, I'm doomed.
Better increase the font size.

Dave said...

I wish I had done a post on Chrissy rather than torture and it's cousin's salutory effects on confessions. I'm still freaking a bit. Those guys have guns.

Dave said...

Bob, I think you have diplomatic immunity or something of the sort.

Going back to my response to Curmudgeon's comment, I may rethink my position on guns. Ryan!

Anonymous said...

I get an email about once a month saying, "Do you think we should throw some bombs? Who do you think we should throw them at? Don't you think it's time to take action?"

So I have a hunch somebody is already keeping tabs on me. They seem to be trying to lead me into something.

I suppose I should be freaked out, but I'm not. I don't have any money or status to speak of, and that makes me sort of bullet proof. I'm reminded of this quote by Arlo Guthrie: "You don't understand- I'm nowhere near the threat I intended to be!"

(I hope the military dude enjoyed my "*** Your War!" post!)

Anonymous said...

Something I just thought of- it might not even be a person. It could just be a bot scanning the internet for key words.

fermicat said...

They're watching you......

Spooky.

Ryan said...

Dave...

I'm not too sure who gets wind of what, and how the 'powers that be' find what they are looking for, but everytime I mention "living on the montana/Canada border buffer zone", I get almost every customs officer in the US searching my blog....

It's a little scary.

I have armed myself heavily just in case.... I'm not sure in case of what yet?

Monica said...

This is so surreal...on my old blog, which I love and regret ever moving to a private place just for me, I mentioned that someone at the Department of Justice had been in and out of my blog several times when I wrote a particularly detailed post about dealing with the VA.

I added an update to that same post telling them to please feel free to email me because I wasn't shy or scared about identifying myself.

Oh, I moved the blog because an ex boyfriend wouldn't stop reading it. Not because of the DofJ. :)