Wednesday, April 25, 2007

What I Don't Get About Web Advertising

I long ago quit “seeing” banner ads on a web page. The skill to me is about the same as not seeing the ads on a page in a newspaper or a magazine (I confess to seeing the underwear ads when I was a young boy). I focus on what I went to see. Saturday and Sunday newspapers are the most challenging. My first task is to sort out and throw away all the advertising.

After banner ads, web advertisers went to blinking ads, animation ads, pop over and unders. Interstitial ads (when you click to go to a story, you get an ad page first that you have to exit from to get to the story and then, even more annoying, when you click back to the main page, you get the story again, where the software had placed the interstitial, so you have to click twice, if that makes any sense).

Lately, there’s the dreaded moving pop over that has no exit option. Other than these %*%&%$# &% &(^& ads, I don't really see what all of these companies are paying big bucks for me to see.

Maybe I shouldn’t say it; but, I Don’t Buy From These People. Not that I am a very good consumer; but, if you annoy me, I’m unlikely to patronize your business.

Then there is Google’s Ad Sense. I know some of you have those innocuous little rectangles on your blog. I hope they bring you revenue; but, I don’t see them. I’ve never clicked on one. Don’t plan on ever clicking on one.

Even when I’m looking for a product or service using Google, I seldom click on the paid results. The advertiser’s site is usually a few results below and I click on it. Why make them pay Google?

Apparently Google and Double Click, now Google/Double Click make billions from those ads that I don’t see and I, for the life of me, don’t understand it. Who clicks on these things to the tune of advertisers paying billions of bucks for the placements?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

If it's a site that I enjoy, I click on the ads every so often just to throw a few pennies into the kitty. I can't remember ever buying anything from them, though.

That's probably even more unethical than not clicking at all.

fermicat said...

I really, really hate the ads with all the motion and flashy things. Drives me crazy! It is so hard to read with all that crap going on.

Ryan said...

Along those same lines, I always return junk mail in the appropriate "prepaid" envelope with a simple "no thank you" enclosed.

I figure since they took up my time and space in the mail box - they should ought to pay for it... all 39 cents worth.

I'm making a difference in the world one credit card application at a time.

I don't click on sponsered sites EVER.

Ripple said...

I never click on those either. I feel that the internet should be free. Everything I get from the internet I try to get for free. I don't buy anything from the internet. Maybe once in a great while the internet is the only place to find a particular item. Like the expansion drum pads for my electronic kit, but that's it.
I actually met my wife on the internet, but that was back when Yahoo! Personals was free. I would never pay to meet people on the internet. That is just silly to me.