Sunday, April 15, 2007

Choosing Pastimes

I don’t get much immediate feedback/satisfaction from my job. I’m usually doing a bunch of things that have different endpoints. When you finish any one thing, you just move on to the next thing.

Coveting satisfaction I’ve gravitated to hobbies and recreation with short-term results. Some might think these choices are the result of a short attention span.

In high school, for a bit in college and for a couple of years, about ten years ago, I played pool. There’s great satisfaction in seeing and executing a series of shots.

I got hooked on photography for a while. See something. Compose. Decide on exposure. Shortly after, feel good that what I saw appears in the slide.

Golf which I thought of, wrongly as it turns out, as a big un-level pool table gives the same quick satisfaction, unfortunately given my skill level, less often. Think about where you want to go. Decide which club, if you hit it correctly, will take you to where you want to go. Swing. Damn, it worked. Even less often, string four (very, very seldom three) shots together on a hole, or two or three pars in a row. Life doesn’t get much better.

Posting on the blog in a way is similar. No real pressure. Write something relatively short, yep that reads pretty good. A positive comment or two and all’s right with the world.

I’m going to play pool this afternoon with a friend. I haven’t played in a year or two. Once I find my cue, I hope to experience some of the old magic.

8 comments:

fermicat said...

It's certainly a better day for pool than for golf here in Atlanta. Interesting observation about hobbies versus work. I hadn't thought of it that way, but it makes sense. Another motivation? Some hobbies are an outlet for creativity - also something that is lacking in most people's jobs.

Dave said...

When I walked outside to go, I almost turned around. A friend of mine actually had a tee time early this morning. I haven't called to see if he cancelled.

You're right about creativity, in general, though, my job can be creative on occasion.

Another thought about a hobby is that regardless of creativity or short term satisfaction, there's no pressure, other than that which is self imposed, to do well. Work requires success. Messing around doesn't.

Ron Davison said...

Dave,
Intriguing post. I think that you're right that good hobbies create what work doesn't and increasingly, work's rewards are pushed out quite a distance from the effort.
And then it's also nice to have tasks the outcome of which is of no conseqeuence to our cash flow or promotional opportunities.

Anonymous said...

I’m going to play pool this afternoon with a friend. I haven’t played in a year or two. Once I find my cue, I hope to experience some of the old magic.

But...it'll never, ever be as good as blogging. ;-)

Anonymous said...

Don't ever play pool for money against someone who has been in the Navy. Those guys are the best in the world.

Dave said...

thomas,

I "earned" spending money in college playing pool.

When I took it up midlife, I played in a lot of bars and pool halls where there were always hustlers. For the most part, I'd play for table charges or a beer.

It was interesting to see the hustler's game improve when he realized that his poor playing wasn't going to sucker me into making a real bet.

I've never been much of a gambler for better or worse.

Ryan said...

I think back home we would call you a shark.... a pool shark.

I am missing some money, a lot drinks, and one tooth thanks to some sharks - I also mangaged to learn one lesson. I better improve my game, or quit betting.

I was always told that good pool players were the product of a mispent childhood.....

Is that true?

Monica said...

I used to play in tournaments with my mom and her friends. I love pool. And sports. I probably should have been born a guy. But I love being a woman so maybe not.