Monday, April 23, 2007

What Do You Love To Hear?

Just before starting this post, I was listening to God, that of music that is. Clapton, to my mind. Others will differ. Within the genre there's Stevie Ray, Buddy Guy, Robert Cray, the list goes on.

There's this list thing going on of thinking blogs, posts that answer questions posed by other bloggers, memes in guises, though I cannot approve of the word meme.

Here's the invitation: but, first another prologue. I like music; but, I am terrible at remembering who played what, when; and, if I could remember either, just what the title is. I am a lover of music without a type. I want music that moves me by words, music or preferably both. Voices alone are good.. Stevie Nicks. Willie Nelson. Elvis. Sinatra. Hank Williams. Unique all. Just notes: Les Paul. Chet Atkins. Moody Blues and Jethro Tull in some of their stuff. Rimsky-Korsakov. Miles Davis. Lead Belly.

Genres can be and are, Big Bands, Dixieland, Blues, Jazz, Rock, Country (though in that category, it has to be really special), Classical, Western Swing, Mountain, Shape Note. No Opera, sorry just can't appreciate it. There may be a Hip Hop song I've liked, I doubt it.

OK, the point of the post. Give me five songs that are the best. Don't care what your reasons are. You can give them if you want to. For whatever reason, what five songs, above all others move you? Though, Louie Louie, My Boyfriend's Back, Dead Man's Curve and similar opie, require copious explanation.

I'm not listing mine just yet.

8 comments:

Amy said...

From a different generation:

Solitude – Billie Holiday
Glosoli – Sigur Ros
Float On – Modest Mouse
I Wanna Be Adored – The Stone Roses (requires patience)
Needle in the Hay – Elliott Smith

Looking forward to your list. I promise to try them all.

Anonymous said...

Too.Many.Songs.
Classical Gas-Mason Williams but played by Clapton
Vincent-Don McLean
Stage Fright-The Band
Truckin'-The Dead
Total Eclipse of the Heart-Bonnie Tyler

(Plus Foggy Mountain by Flatt & Scruggs, for those times when nothing else can make you feel better)

Ripple said...

It's hard to come up with five songs. I know I'll think of better ones later on, but here's my list in no particular order other than they had some significance in my life.

1. Smells like teen spirit - Nirvana
2. Space truckin' - Deep Purple
3. Josie - Blink 182
4. Sanitarium - Metallica
5. No one like you - Scorpions

I know they're all rock songs, but hey, I grew up in the 80's. the first one is because it saved rock music when rock desperately needed it. The second is because I loved that song when I was a kid. The third was when I discovered that I like some punk. The fourth was what introduced me to heavy metal that I really liked. The fifth is the first rock song I learned on the drums.

Anonymous said...

Will it go 'round in circles? by Billy Presont;
I'll Be Seeing You by Jimmy Durante;
Auf Wiedersehen, My Dear by Tiny Tim;
Give Me Love by George Harrison;
All Apologies by Nirvana

If they ever make a movie of my life, the soundtrack will be by George Harrison.

Ryan said...

I'm with you on the Hank Williams tune....

I need to expand my musical horizons.

Monica said...

I love so many but here are my top five:

Can't Stop This Feeling-REO Speedwagon (personal reasons as to why this is my all-time fav)

Sometimes When We Touch-Rod Stewart version

Keeper of the Stars-Tracy Byrd

An Innocent Man-Billy Joel (always reminds me of my high school boyfriend who has gone through so much in life and is still one of my best friends.)

Newest favorite is Who Am I-Wade Bowen

fermicat said...

Ask me tomorrow and the list might be different, but here is what I came up with today:

Maybe I'm Amazed - Paul McCartney
Jessica - The Allman Brothers
Straight To My Heart - Sting
Crush - Dave Matthews
In Your Eyes - Peter Gabriel

Jessica may seem like an odd choice, since it has no lyrics, but that song never fails to improve my mood.

Dave said...

We have an eclectic group.

I'm a bit peeved at Thomas as he took my favorite George Harrison song, so I had to choose my second favorite for my picks.

Amy, if you like Billie Holiday, you have a great future ahead of you.

I'm also not sure about Clasical Gas by Clapton. I'm worried I might like it.

I can't listen to Teen Spirit without thinking of the ulitmate kind of cover by Wierd Al.

Finally, REO, a band for its time.