Thursday, September 13, 2007

Here's What I Think The President Said, As He Said It

This may be a live blog of sorts. It’s two till nine and I’m going to watch the speech on Fox News. I opened a Word document to take a note or two, something I’ve never done. Whether this becomes a post, may be more a consequence of my typing skills than what I say as I type.

Here goes, serious music.

Iraq is a surrogate for mid-east and us as to terror.

Troop surge is working.

It provides security so the Iraqi sectarian groups don’t kill each other.

We are surging diplomats behind our troops to do what?

Sunni’s are our friends now. That doesn’t make headlines, but it makes a difference.

Same thing is happening in other parts of the country. Baghdad for example. Sectarian killings are down.

Shiia extremists are being driven out by the Iraqi government??

Government is not doing what it should. I’ve told them they must. That’ll work.

Iraqi police suck. That’ll change.

General Petreas says by July we can cut from 20 to 15 brigades. Then we’ll partner with Iraqi forces, then just monitor, then just train and equip Iraqi forces.

I listened to everyone and bought what Petreas says. It’s his fault. He’s going to report again in March.

The way forward that I’ve described tonight allows us to come together. Iraq wants an enduring relationship with us. Free Iraq is vital to our security.

The military and diplomats think we can succeed.

Got to stop Iran. Danger like that can result in 9/11.

Stuff about other terror.

Iraqis, we won’t abandon you.

Other countries, help us out of this mess. UN, get with it.

Personal story about a killed soldier who sent the President an Email. We have to finish the dead soldier’s work. It isn’t too late.

Good night and God bless America.

I was going to go back and put my riffs into parens. I figure you can tell what he said and what I think.

6 comments:

Keith said...

Well Dave, I just got done watching the speech and I think you did a pretty darn good job.

Can you say VIETNAM?

Also, he is just extending this crap for the next prez to deal with.

Just my 2 cents.

Jeni said...

I knew I could count on you to do a good job reporting what "Dumba*** DUBYA" was going to be saying tonight so I switched the channel when he came on - watched "Home Improvement" on one of the Cable Channels, probably Nick at Nite. Is there perhaps some irony in my choice of what channel I selected as opposed to watch D-DUBYA? What a turkey!

SonjaB said...

Wow, can you be president? If speeches were actually like your note, I might watch them. Oh and my TV schedule wouldn't be screwed up.

Don't you love it when I actually comment?

Life Hiker said...

Just heard today (9/14) that the admiral who commands CENTCOM (Central Command, which includes Iraq), thinks Petraus is an ass-kisser and wants us down to 50,000 troops in Iraq by mid-2008. This will come out in a report within a month. The admiral outranks Petraus, but apparently does not kiss ass well enough to go to capital hill for the president.

Don't you wonder how long this admiral has before he decides to retire like Shinsecki?

Dave said...

Having now read what the media has to say and the Democrats have to say, it is my sad conclusion that our troops are going to be in Iraq long past the end of the President's term. To what end, I don't think any of them have a clue. I earnestly hope they're right, that some good will come out of this cluster(&_%. I don't think it will, but maybe there won't be news footage of people on the top of the Embassy getting into helicopters with loyalist Iraq's being pushed off as we leave, whenever that is.

And yes Sonja, I'm pleased when you comment, as I am with all comments, but you especially as it is so rare. By the way, time for a new post isn't it?

fermicat said...

It is no surprise, but it sucks that Bush is leaving such a mess for the next person. Whoever that person may be, they will have a tough job dealing with the aftermath of Iraq, and many other untenable situations that have been created during this administration. I don't know why anyone would want to be president and inherit such an impossible mission.