Thursday, September 06, 2007

New Computer Update

My intitial thought after today, is the same as the last time I moved: never do it again.

But I imagine, the horror will fade as time passes.

The much vaunted Windows Transfer something or other should not be as vaunted as the Web says. It sent over my Favorites. My Address Book was sent but went to a wayward part of the new computer, that I could find and then transfer to the the actual address book. "My Documents?" They may well be in the new computer. But, I had to do another very specific transfer, twice, and they appeared in the new box, where they were supposed to be.

The scanner software insisted it wasn't going to install. No, I won't go, I won't, you can't make me. Firmness and persistance overcame.

Then on to HP.com where I was told that printer drivers for Vista would be on their way soon! The page had a publish date in January. A hint to those of you that believe what you read on the Web: don't. I couldn't find the CD for the printer. I downloaded a driver from HP.com for an XP operating system. It works just fine with Vista.

Today's failure was trying to send the many thousands of Emails resident in the old box to the new box. Towards the end of the day, I think I happened upon a solution. Tomorrow morning will tell.

The the big test. Sending over the billing program files. That one has to go right first time. No room for error.

Please execute a collective fingers crossed for me. And a nineteen inch screen is still kick-ass!

3 comments:

Jeni said...

What's this windows transfer software or whatever you are talking about here? When I got this computer, the shop owner where I purchased it took the data I specifically wanted from my old computer and saved it to a dvd for me - with the exception of e-mail messages and my family tree files! Since I still have the old computer here, I'm assuming if I found someone who would be willing to hook it up and pull my family tree stuff off to one of those portable type storage things (I forget now what the heck they are called) the data could then be copied over to a dvd or cd. But what you're talking about here leaves me wondering if perhaps the dealer here could have transferred more stuff over for me than what he did.

Dave said...

Jeni, yes he could have. Belkin and Microsoft make a "crossover" cable that hooks from a USB port on the old machine to a USB port on the new machine. A CD comes with the Belkin cable that you load into the computers. It then asks what you want to send. What you can send is any file or folder you have in the machine.

Having said that, I had difficulty with sending my address book, and so far, I can't get my saved Emails to migrate.

Jeni said...

Does anyone else see any incongruity here in that computers are supposed to make our lives (work) faster, easier, more accurate, yadda, yadda?
Sometimes I wonder about that idea, don't you?