Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Why Do They Have to Hide the Hoodlatch?

Remember when you get a new car and for whatever reason you have to look at the engine, and the little metal latch isn't where your last car put it? I think each manufacturer has an engineer in charge of moving it.

So do the designers of Microsoft Office 2007. I assume they are the same people that designed IE 7 that moved stuff at the top for no good reason. Why do I have to go to "Page" in the upper right corner rather than "File" in the upper left corner to send a page to someone by Email?

We'll, today I upgraded from Office 2000 to 2007.

First, I can read letters that are combined into words. F-I-L-E spells the word. Maybe that's a bad example because they don't even have an icon for that one. Guess what File is now? After hovering over all of the other icons at the top, so as to save the document I was working on, I had a circle that looked a lot like the "Start" circle, that is at the lower left corner of the desktop, only stuck at the upper left corner of the screen. Hover over it, and it's for the most part File. It has your prints and your saves and sends. Trouble is it just doesn't print any more though, there are three prints available. One is print, it doesn't work. Two is quick print, it doesn't work. Three is print preview. I didn't try it after I realized that Office, specifically Word, wasn't talking to the printer that it had been on good terms with an hour before.

Want to double space something? I'm not sure what the icon button in the center of the upper tool bar is supposed to represent, but if you hover over it, it will tell you it is lines, rather than paragraph which was in a drop down under format earlier today.

I left the office, my office, not Bill's Office, well I guess I kinda did, when it wouldn't print, so I get to play with that in the morning.

11 comments:

Posol'stvo the Medved said...

I hated Office 2007 when I first got it. Except for Outlook 2007, which I love.

I have since learned Office 2007, but it was not easy. Keep in mind, I am a bit of an MS Office professional, having taught myriads of people how to use it since Word 6 was all the rage. Up till now, the hardest thing I had to learn was what the new features were. But from version to version, everything stayed in the same place.

Until now.

So, Dave my man, I feel your pain, brother. But it does get better. If you ever want to know how to do something, where something is, just ask. I can probably help.

Dave said...

What is this strange concept of being taught? My biggest problem with tech stuff is that I only have the patience to learn what I have to learn. I don't want a new way of doing something that almost always is just different not better. I'll figure the damn thing out, but I'm not happy about having to do it.

Now if you know how I can find the Emails I sent from the old computer to the new computer, three times, that Windows Transfer Wizard swears were sent, but that I can't find on the new computer to put into the inbox and sent box of Windows Mail, then, then, I will be endebted for life. Indebted?

Posol'stvo the Medved said...

What program were the emails in on your old computer? Outlook? Or outlook express?

Either way, the old emails are kept in a file somewhere buried in the depths of the file system. You can copy that file to the new 'puter but will likely have to import them into the new program.

If Outlook, look for a file with the extension .pst. If Outlook Express, look for a file with the extension .dbx.

Then run the import function to pull the messages in.

Dave said...

Thanks Pos, though I did that. I was using Express and thus had a .dxb suffix. Some come up in a search on the new computer, just not the transfered ones. I've gone further than that, in the event you're still interested having read that such are "hidden" and "unhid" whatever it is they are. No luck. I know they're there the dirty bastards.

Jeni said...

You know, your post -and your plight with learning where everything is now -isn't funny but it is. I sat here reading it and chuckling over your hunting for things etc. mainly because I was going through much the same stuff when I first got this computer and went from Windows 98 to XP and from IE to Explorer 7.
I'm still using the xp but I dropped back to IE6 because the explorer 7 just was giving me and my computer way too many fits for me to contend with. I still have Office 2000 and I sure as hell am not going to fork over a couple hundred bucaroonies to upgrade a program that I know fairly well how to operate with it to get something where I have to start with square one to figure out where things are before I can even begin to use them. Loved the name of the post too - how true it is with cars as well as computer stuff.

Posol'stvo the Medved said...

Dave -- sorry I let this slide a few days. Been busy.

What I have done successfully in the past was to copy the old file from the old PC to CD, put on a thumb drive, whatever. I then know where the dbx file is and can then manually import on the new machine. If you want, you can do the same thing with your contacts too.

Are you "retiring" the old PC? If so, you might find it useful to mount the hard drive from your old PC as a slave drive in the new case, and then leave it in there as long as it continues to run. that way, everytime you have to find something you forgot to copy from the old machine it is right there at your fingertips...

Dave said...

No problem on the delay. One of my initial solutions was to copy to a DVD. The problem is the files, each, are over a gig; but, your idea of using a thumb drive, might work. I'll look into buying one tomorrow. I hope the come in mulitple gigs, as you may have guessed by now, I'm not quite up to speed on this stuff. Enjoy the weekend.

Posol'stvo the Medved said...

Dave -- They come in sizes as big as 4 GB. I have an external Hard Drive that hold 500 GB that I use, but I use that for a lot of other stuff too -- such as data backup etc.

Good luck.

fermicat said...

I feel your pain. Every time I switch from my PC to PDM's Mac, I feel like I have to pretend I'm lefthanded or something. I know it is whatever you're used to, but it always feels awkward and nothing is where I expect it to be.

I used to be much better at solving computer weirdness on my own when I worked for a small business (4 full time employees). There wasn't a dude to come fix your computer, so you had to learn how to deal with it yourself. Six years of not having to do that has blunted that skill. You're smack in the middle of do-it-yourselfsville, and you will get very good at solving these problems. I almost envy you. ;-)

Dave said...

Fermi,

Envy me #^$^, hook me up with your IT Dude. I still haven't gotten the old machine's Emails into the new machine's Email boxes.

Glad to hear from you.

A non-sequitor: why do I have to type my username and password to post a comment on my blog for the first time ever? Send the IT Dude to Google!

fermicat said...

Unlike most "IT dudes", our guy is a nice person. He actually solves your problem PRONTO with no condescending attitude or anything. And he is a single malt Scotch connoisseur. What a gentleman!