Saturday, September 22, 2007

Year Two, Post One: Buying Cheap?

Regular readers will remember I bought a small fan for the living room to circulate the air a few months ago. It lasted a few days and died. I did get a free replacement that I didn't mention in the post. It is working well as I type this.

More recently, I bought a toaster oven with a convection fan. I did a post about it. Pos told me the ratio for heat and time. Said ratio worked well. It worked fine until today when I put in a pork roast (marinated in mojo, olive oil, salt, pepper, cumin, marjoram, sage). It is smelling good as I type.

My problem? The convection fan has died. My big thing was the convection feature. I now have an OK toaster oven (that is a bitch to clean).

I know, I can take it back to Target and get another. It just doesn't seem quite worth it. It works, just not quite as fast. The new one wouldn't clean any easier.

And, as said above, it does smell good here now.

5 comments:

Jeni said...

Pick your battle there, Dave. If the extra speed is what you're really wanting since you said it's a bugger to clean and another unit wouldn't change that aspect - then is that extra bit of faster cooking time worth taking the unit back to Target for a new model? Unless you paid out an arm and a leg for this unit, if it were me, I'd just keep it an deal with the extra time required. But then too, you gotta remember, basically I am very lazy - too lazy to cart stuff back if it at least works partially - unless as I mentioned above - the purchase price originally cost me a small arm and leg!
Ok - my opinion's in - as far as I'm concerned, you're on your own now in the decision making department! LOL and good luck!

fermicat said...

You never know. The new one might NOT break. You probably paid extra to have the convection part of it. Might as well get one that works.

Anonymous said...

I miss the old days, when you could repair appliances. We're probably talking about a $2 part and a ten-minute repair, if you could get the part.

Posol'stvo the Medved said...

Dave -- If you bought the damn thing for the convection feature then heck yeah you should return it.

It is possible though that the model you bought is designed for occasional use, and not heavy constant use. If that's the case, you may be going back to the store a lot.

You get what you pay for. It may be that the model you need to get for the amount of use you put in costs 5 times as much. I dunno. I do know that a toaster oven is rarely thought of as a full-blown substitute for a regular oven, convection or otherwise.

Dave said...

Interestingly, the same day I wrote this post, I sent an Email to the company. Today, I got a response telling me to call them and they'd take care of the problem.

Maybe it's my mood lately, but it doesn't seem worth it. The thing works, for the most part, the part that for the most part counts.

Another interesting aside, I make a living solving other peoples' problems. Sometimes, the mundane problems of everyday life, that take as much or more time than solving the big time problems I get paid for....