Friday, April 11, 2008

I Don't Know How You Do It

Live up north that is.

I moved south twenty-five years ago, first to Miami and now in Atlanta. Every now and then I'm forced north. Yesterday was such a day. Weather.com said Bloomington, IL would have a high of sixty and would be cloudy with some showers. Lies! All lies!

Given the weather prediction I wore jeans and a sports coat. (I was going to a factory, hence the jeans. I also wore steel toed shoes.) I walked out of the Bloomington airport into a gale. Twenty plus mph winds, driving light rain. It may have been forty degrees. The weather got worse as the day went on.

Before my exodus south, I lived in Michigan, Nebraska, Minnesota, Ohio and briefly, in West Virginia. Living in all those states, I can remember what I felt yesterday: a moment of resolve as my mind and body internally steeled themselves before opening the door to the outside.

My client picked me up at the airport in a rental car. They come equipped with a heavy duty ice scraper and a long snow brush. I have an ice scraper in my car, somewhere; and, I use it once every year or so.

I got up this morning and put on a wind jacket as the temperature was in the mid-fifties. The high today is going to be in the high seventies. There is a blue sky with fluffy clouds. All of the trees have now budded. Looking out the window there are white and lavender flowers on the trees. Down the road in Augusta nature is in full riot mode.

I'll leave you with a few pictures. God finished up his work at Augusta National, realizing he couldn't do much better.




12 comments:

Keith said...

Awesome pictures man! Look very beautiful. I love it when I get out of the desert (which can be beautiful too in it's own way) and see greenery. Although the desert was blooming this spring with all the winter rain we had.

As for the crappy forecast you received? Your problem was that you went to the Weather Channel and not the NWS. I know for a fact that the NWS produces better forecasts and could even provide the stats to back that up.

So next time go to .gov and not .com

Peace!

Debo Blue said...

Beautiful pictures but it ain't Phoenix in the Spring!

Dave said...

Ah weather.

I'll try nws.org Keith.

Keith and Debo, one of my brothers lives in Glendale. There is beauty in your state and city; but, I just can't do the brown background on a day in and day out basis.

I've been in the Phoenix area, Tucson, the Grand Canyon, Sedona and the roads between them. All beautiful, but not every day. Though, I could make do with Sedona and the Canyon, both which quite literally took my breath away.

Posol'stvo the Medved said...

Dave - it might get cold up here, but summers a wee bit more tolerable than they are down your way. Give and take. I hate to sweat more than I hate to shiver. You hate to shiver more than you hate to sweat.

Potayto, potahto.

Dave said...

Air Conditioners versus furnaces. I prefer the former. Though, on occasion, the fireplace is nice.

Anonymous said...

I notice you didn't post any pics from the Masters trip we made where it rained all day.

Dave said...

Ted?

Hedy said...

Ahhh, weather. This morning's temp: 57 degrees. Sadly, I did not check the weather for the day and wore my bright, hopeful spring coat. Froze my ass off walking to the train at 4:30 - temperature dropped 20 degrees in two hours apparently. Now I'm sitting in front of the fire place with Gromit to stay warm. Lovely pictures, though. Thanks Dave.

Lifehiker said...

Could you post again in late July when the Atlanta air is so hot, thick, and wet that your shirt is soaked through after five minutes outdoors? I'll sympathize with you as I walk down the fairway in relative comfort.

However, at this time of year I'm green with envy.

Dave said...

The solution to summer humidity is an early tee time. Out at 7:30, off at noon. The nineteenth hole is air conditioned.

Wendy said...

cool pic's

Kathleen said...

Beautiful pictures. Welcome to my world, with your trip to Bloomington, it freaking snowed here on Sunday. It didn't stick, but who cares, it was still cold enough to snow. I'm bitter.