Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Words I Don't Like

Artisanal and Heirloom. They're annoying as they’ve been co-opted (another not favorite word) by advertisers and don’t mean what they used to mean.

Artisanal is an adjective for something made by an artisan, a person who hand makes things, especially mechanical things. Now it means bread or some other food made by a small, versus big, concern that uses allegedly fresh ingredients.

An heirloom is something passed down to you by your family. Seeds may be passed down from generation to generation; but, I doubt that most of the “heirloom” vegetables and fruits you see in the store are being sold by the recipient of their ancestor’s beneficence (I like that word).

I’m not much for trendy. I know that language changes, and it should; but, it shouldn’t be hijacked.

3 comments:

Posol'stvo the Medved said...

One man's hijack is another man's recycle. But I'm with you on this one. My other favorite is "instant classic." What the HELL is that supposed to mean?

Ron Davison said...

This is interesting. Words can be hijacked, milked of all their positive associations, and then left on the side of the road, bloody and beaten. They are vulnerable assets just waiting to for a hostile takeover.

Sudiegirl said...

Heirloom vegetables? Don't know if I wanna eat those. Those might cause good old fashioned dysentery.