Monday, July 27, 2009

Best of luck...

to Michael Vick. The NFL has “conditionally reinstated” him. I’m not sure what that means beyond that he can practice with a team, if a team signs him and if he’s good (whatever Goodell thinks qualifies) he can play in the seventh game of the season.

Vick didn’t have much of an upbringing. He was done wrong by scores of friends and advisors. He doesn’t have the social skills to turn his life around without some serious help.

If I were to bet, I’d bet that he will screw something up. I hope I’m wrong.

4 comments:

Lifehiker said...

But he still deserves the chance. Best of luck, Michael

Anonymous said...

There are a lot of screw-ups who could benefit from a good role model, and I hope he becomes one to them.

I hope before it's all over he becomes the example of a guy who had pissed it all away, but changed his ways and did something good and useful with his life.

Anonymous said...

I hope he does well. No foundation + too much money + bad influences disguised as friends is a bad combination.

dr sardonicus said...

Someone will no doubt give him a tryout - I heard on ESPN that six teams were interested. But I still think his career is over, unless he learned how to throw a forward pass while behind bars. His legs are probably gone - running around the prison yard just isn't the same as keeping sharp through competition.

Vick is not unique - several other NFL players had their careers interrupted by stints in prison, and none AFAIK made a successful comeback. Plaxico Burress is probably through as well.