Wednesday, April 07, 2010

Nike and Tiger: How Low Can You Go?

Pretty damn low. Watch this commercial and come on back:

http://www.tmz.com/2010/04/07/nike-tiger-woods-earl-woods-golf-nike-commercial-tigers-dad-for-new-commercial/

So, if you caught any of Tiger's press conference earlier in the week, he was heartily sorry. He let everyone down. Mea culpa. Mea magna culpa. And so on, other than giving any details of what led him to where he is.

And that was fine with me, especially when coupled with his crowd friendly demeanor during his first practice round.

Now we find out it's all fodder to sell sports apparel. Don't ask me questions; but, I'm going to use my bad behavior to promote Nike stuff. And I'm going to invoke my dead dad, who I didn't listen to, to do it.

Here's part of what Billy Payne, the current chairman of the Augusta National Golf Club, had to say today in his annual speech, before the commercial ran:

"But as he now says himself, he forgot in the process to remember that with fame and fortune comes responsibility, not invisibility. It is not simply the degree of his conduct that is so egregious here; it is the fact that he disappointed all of us, and more importantly, our kids and our grand kids. Our hero did not live up to the expectations of the role model we saw for our children.

"Is there a way forward? I hope yes. I think yes. But certainly his future will never again be measured only by his performance against par; but measured by the sincerity of his efforts to change. I hope he now realizes that every kid he passes on the course wants his swing, but would settle for his smile.

"I hope he can come to understand that life's greatest rewards are reserved for those who bring joy to the lives of other people. We at Augusta hope and pray that our great champion will begin his new life here tomorrow in a positive, hopeful and constructive manner, but this time, with a significant difference from the past. This year, it will not be just for him, but for all of us, who believe in second chances."

Seems to me that Tiger is more interested in the kids and grand kids buying Nike stuff and has a way to go to live up to Payne's and my standards.

2 comments:

Posol'stvo the Medved said...

Unless you want to convince me that Tiger is making marketing decisions for Nike, I'd prefer to leave this one off of him. At worst, Tiger's crime in this is not recognizing that the ad agency came up with a bad idea and going along with it.

Dave said...

I think you're right Pos, Tiger didn't come up with the idea, but he went along with it as you say. I do think that Nike bears most of the responsibility; but, he's a grown, if not mature, man.

What's a bit galling is that I'm hearing that people think the commercial is great.