Friday, September 26, 2008

Debating

I read and heard that Obama wasn’t good at it; and, that McCain was. I read and heard that McCain was pithy and to the point; and, that Obama wandered around a subject sounding pretty.

I saw and heard the opposite. McCain hearkened back to his trips to various regions and experience in various areas of governance, never tying his visits or experience to a point, throwing in various prepared lines and talking points at inappropriate times.

Obama, other than early on in response to bailout issues (as did McCain) not directly responding to questions (that probably didn’t have an answer) ticked off his points in respose to the questions.

Interestingly, other than in defending his stance on Iraq, McCain came off as a bit of a dove, to Obama’s baby hawkish stances.

No knockout, Obama on points.

4 comments:

dr sardonicus said...

I didn't watch. I can find talking points on the internets any time.

fermicat said...

I missed it. I figure I can get the reader's digest version on the intertubes. Plus, I am near 100% certain who is getting my vote. It would take something far more earth shattering than one debate to change my mind, since we've been seeing a lot of these two guys for months and months. I've already got more than enough data to make a decision.

That girl said...

When is your election again?

The anticipation has me on the edge of my seat *mockingly*

We are also doomed, we have to vote in 2 weeks, and we got 1 month's notice!

Unknown said...

I have to agree and I don't support Obama. I thought he came across very well. I also think McCain showed a lack of polish that he tried to make up for with wonkish technical references with names of foreign places and leaders, among other things.

If I were Obama's speech coach, I would advise him not to act so disrespectful with the shaking head and smart ass grin while saying "not true not true". It was off putting to a lot of people who do support him, primarily older voters who may be sensitive to all of us whippersnapper know-it-alls :-).

Combine that with learning the difference between the US President talking without pre-condition to Ahmadinejad (what Obama actually said and claims Kissinger said) as opposed to low level diplomatic gofers (whay Kissinger actually said) doing it in advance of the President and he has a knockout win.