Thursday, September 18, 2008

Ditching Dish

Assuming you read the last post, you know I’m moving.

I’ve had cable (Comcast and its predecessors), DirecTV and Dish Network.

Dish for its own reasons will not allow me to access the satellite that I have a direct view of at the new place because I’m a current rather than new customer – the “eastern arc” satellite is only for new customers. I don’t have a clear sight to the “western arc” satellite. Stupid.

So, I’m back to DirecTV, that I liked. (I left it because when I got LCD/HD TV, it wanted to charge me for a new dish and receiver and Dish gave them to me free.)

I just now realized that I have 32 hours of saved HD programming that is going to go poof tomorrow morning. Should I stay up all night watching it?

Nope. I’m listening to Margaritaville on Sirius. Tomorrow night I’ll listen to a similar station on XM, provided by DirecTV.

Sorry Bill (a friend and an employee of one of the above named companies). No prize if you guess which.

7 comments:

Posol'stvo the Medved said...

"the “eastern arc” satellite is only for new customers. I don’t have a clear sight to the “western arc” satellite."

Are you living in a Monty Python skit? For some reason I can just picture *Michael* Palin (not Sarah) or John Cleese informing you of this.

Posol'stvo the Medved said...

Hay, that's two oblique Sarah Palin references in one day.

Some kind of record for me.

Jenn said...

I also perfer Direct Tv and we swithced orginally to dish for similar reasons you listed. Now dish is ... well... our contract is up. And I've made the call to direct TV. I will still have dish for internet for the next six months. SIGH. There is not end.

Dave said...

Sarah Palin has not entered my mind in a week or so. Thanks. I take that back. I read about her on SNL.

I'm hoping DireTV is what it was before I left it.

The Curmudgeon said...

I hate moving.

Best of luck to you with yours.

dr sardonicus said...

Have fun moving (heh). I may be going back to the dreaded Comcast, since it looks like that's the only way I can get a broadband connection out here.

Keith said...

Hey Dave,

Good luck with your move. I hope it all goes smoothly for you.

When we moved from Western Nebraska to the Phoenix Arizona area in 1994 we bought a home that was being built in a new subdivision. It was finished and we moved in on the week of Christmas in December of 1994.

We've been here ever since. But...I can relate to moving. I have helped many people move in and out of places in the last 15 years.

The thing I like about our house the most? I have 8 years and 10 months left on the mortgage. Then it's ours.

Peace!