Monday, September 01, 2008

Labor Day

The title of the post may, or may not be appropriate, we’ll see.

This morning, rather than going to a parade, I went to the golf course. Probably more in tune with today’s country than I would like.

Then, I watched Hurricane Gustave thankfully fizzle it seems.

Now I’m watching what is passing for the Republican convention. I think the GOP did the right thing to downplay the politics; but, as the storm doesn’t seem to be a real threat, their appeal that they are “Americans” seems a bit flat. They played what seemed to be a good bet and lost.

Four Republican Governors who stayed in their states did video speeches, all acceptable, except for Rick Perry of Texas who inferred that only Republicans could have dealt with what turned out to be a Category 1 storm. Brownie, Chertoff (the first time around), George W and a few others would belie that view.

Then there was just Laura Bush and Cindy McCain. They spoke for a minute or two each and asked us to send money to the Gulf Coast states.

Just now, Senator McCain’s campaign said that he knew that Governor Palin’s daughter was pregnant when he selected his nominee. My thought is that Senator McCain showed quite poor judgment, not for choosing Governor Palin (though I think it was a bad choice for a number of reasons), rather that he knew of the bombshell and didn’t put it out in the open from the start. Lots of drama for no good reason.

To end on the title, we have labor and we have ownership. I don’t think it’s a good idea to focus on either. Each of us brings something to the table. The minute we focus on adversity, be we on the leveraged side or the downside, we miss a bet.

Enjoy your labors and your leisure. It won’t be long till Columbus Day is here.

8 comments:

The Exception said...

I hadn't heard that he knew about the pregnancy... but then I have been at the pool enjoying the holiday as October is a long way away! (And there are a lot of politics to come between now and then!)

It was a no win situation for the Republicans. had they gone ahead as if nothing was happening and something had happened... it would have been awful. Perhaps they made the best choice possible given the situation?

And who knows what will happen with all the rain and the pressure... as in Katrina. It wasn't the hurricane as much as it was the rain.

Jenn said...

I think Labor Day is over rated. I guess I don't understand the ethics behind making it a holiday. Care to elaborate?

Dave said...

Exception, you're probably right that they made the right decision on downplaying the politics. Though I'd rather have watched the politics than Geraldo braving a levee with water seeping over the top and shouting while thinking wrongly that a man was drowning, while shrieking, fifteen times over the past few hours.

Jenny, I don't think ethics were a consideration in establishing the holiday. Of the national holidays, it is probably number two in lost purpose only to Columbus Day.

fermicat said...

I enjoyed not laboring for my employer today. Instead, I did some yard work. Your day sounds like more fun.

Debo Blue said...

I LOVE Labour Day because it means we Phoenicians will have just two more months of near 100 degree weather. Woo Hoo!

Posol'stvo the Medved said...

I couldn't help but think of the movie "The Birdcage" over the weekend as the news of Palin's impending grandchild came out. Each new admission of prio knowledge still had the fresh patina of the Spin Machine on it, and it was so patently obvious as to be borderline insulting.

Now, you have used the expression "missing a bet" in a couple posts of late, and I want to know if this is a common expression, because I'm not aware of having heard it before.

Dave said...

Hey Pos,

Google "missing a bet," I'm, interestingly the number one result. I've always used the phrase though I guess I'll have to try to reduce usage in the blog if you are noticing it, hackneyed writing and all.

According to Google the phrase comes from poker when you check and should have bet but didn't because you wimped out.

Posol'stvo the Medved said...

I've heard of "missing a beat" which has a slightly different connotation than what I think you are meaning.

The first time I saw it, I thought maybe you missed an "A". When I saw it a second time, I realized that I must be the one who is missing a beat on "missing a bet."

Which is why I asked...