Saturday, October 25, 2008

I Want Words, Not Pictures

So I bought the bed frame mentioned in a previous post at Ikea, a good friend going with me to carry the ridiculously heavy three boxes.

I was going to put it together starting a few minutes ago. I’ve got a plastic bag of metal connectors and a “manual” that has a bunch of pictures and the total sum of the following “words”:

Malm

Ikea, Design and Quality, IKEA of Sweden

AA-75286-12

© Inter IKEA Systems B.V. 2004

And, some pictures of the screws, nuts and bolts have numbers giving diameters and length descriptions.

Why does stuff have to have stupid pictographs, if that’s what they’re called? I can figure this thing out; but, it would be a whole lot easier if they used words.

I think I’ll save this for another day, as it’s been a long day.

6 comments:

Posol'stvo the Medved said...

of course, i am sure you know this, but they sell the same sets in many different countries. I imagine that this is there way of making the instructions "international". Just be thankful that they aren't giving you words that have been horrendously translated into English from Finnish or whatever.

Jenn said...

mmmhmmm. Try something complicated like a swing set (with only 5 picture diagrams to go by)... it should take you about a six pack (if you drink) then you will throw away the directions and wing it.

Dave said...

I know Pos. Electronics have the bad translations.

I actually just finished putting it together, other than being able using the center platform from my old bed which is about a half inch too wide. (IKEA doesn't include it's slats with its bed, they are extra. It will probabably be easier to go to Home Depot or Lowes and have them cut me a piece of particle board or plywood in the right dimensions.)

Now I have to borrow a saw or something

Dave said...

Jenny, your comment came in when I was typing, see above. And yes, I drink. Two beers to get as far as I got.

Jenn said...

lol, courious now, how many beers to finish the project? How many cuss words?

Unknown said...

I did a large kitchen and bathroom with their cabinets.

After the first two or three, I got he hang of it and didn't need the directions.

I am now qualified to decode heiroglyphics.