Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Love of Law, Day Two of, it is to be Hoped, Three

So, the sandbagging on the pre-trial order worked. All of the other side’s claims other than marshalling the assets of the dissolving corporation (I know, legalese, I’m tired) are gone. Potential six-figure liability is now about $5K.

Closing arguments in the morning. I think this trial stuff is a younger person’s game. It’s kind of fun but tiring. Now I’m off to research for jury instructions and outline the closing argument.

7 comments:

fermicat said...

I'm confused about how $5K is a six figure liability. But I'm just a physicist. Enlighten me.

the juries I've served on taught me that trials are very boring. Not like on TV.

Dave said...

First, trials are boring for everyone but the lawyers, who are thinking on multiple tracks at the same time, all the time: what question to ask, where is it going, what was the answer, how does that change what I know and don't know, how does it effect the legal aspects of the case, did the jury understand that, has that answer helped or hurt my chances for a directed verdict, etc., etc. and so on.

As to your confusion, the exposure to my client started out in six figures. It is now about $5K.

I should probably not post about law, it is way too obtuse and I tend to be obtuse when writing about it.

Lifehiker said...

Glad to see that someone is working, and even succeeding!

Go get 'em, Tiger!

Anonymous said...

obtuse? Like dull or rounded on the edges, obtuse? My horoscope said I'll be drinking early today, Post-trail conference at 4pm. Non-Sequitars by 6pm.

dr sardonicus said...

Sometimes we learn from the obtuse...

Unknown said...

Then I am a veritable fountain of knowledge

Anonymous said...

I love it when you explain what you do. Gives me knowledge about something I thought was ingenuity of working with smoke and mirrors.

Debo Blue

PS-the word verification thing is ulather. Hmmmmmmmmmm.