Friday, November 14, 2008

I'm Never, Ever Going to Buy Another Electronic Product

The title probably isn’t true; but, right now I probably mean it.

I’m on my third day with a G1, or Google, phone. My first mistake was buying it within a month of it coming out. It’s buggy. The GPS function quit working. Doing a “factory reset” fixed that. So far, there’s no way to import my Windows Mail address book to the phone and it does not want to fetch Emails from my work and personal domains. The current big problem is that it quit talking to my laptop over the wireless router. I have a full WiFi signal but if I use the browser, without trying to get to the internet, it tells me that every URL is “unavailable.”

I don’t have signal from home. I’m attempting to solve that with a signal booster, which should be here Monday or Tuesday. Alternatively, I’m trying to find out if I can use the wireless router to connect to Skype through the laptop.

OK, this is boring me. Have a good weekend.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I experienced a similar problem. When I bought my iPhone, I first checked with “Got Reception?” (Gotreception.com) It’s a great resource for finding out where reception problems are most likely to occur BEFORE you lock yourself with a specific carrier.

Anonymous said...

It seems like they're trying to cram more and more stuff into a smaller and smaller package, and it isn't really working very well. Maybe it would be better to buy six or seven single-purpose gadgets, and just get a bigger briefcase.

Dave said...

Thanks for stopping by Micael. The poor reception was and is a concern. I can return the phone for the next ten days. If either the signal booster or the wireless to Skype thing works, I'm fine if I can get the other stuff working.

Thomas, I've always been a one thing at a time person; but, more and more clients and friends are using too many ways to communicate and it seems that I have to be receptive to all of the means all the time, though I'm not thrilled about it.

With the addition of the new baby computer I now have internet, Email and phone service everywhere except in the shower. Makes me long for the time when I had one, count it, one $20 phone bill.

Anonymous said...

Perhaps your prowess with the simple Ikea bed should have been a warning.

Dave said...

Touche, Jay. The upside is the phone is too small to hurt me badly.

Posol'stvo the Medved said...

I think you hit the nail on the head when you amended your diatribe to include the idea that you won't allow yourself to be someone's beta tester.

In general, I am never an early adopter. Too many heartaches involved with not ready for primetime technology rushed to meet some launch deadline.

Generally, it is best to wait till the second third or fourth generation, if you can.

Of course, I say that as an owner of a 1st gen iPhone. Note that it was bought for me by my company, so wouldn't have been my choice necessarily.

Anonymous said...

And...in addition...the Google Phone looks like ass!

Dave said...

UPDATE:

My problem at home isn't the phone or its software, it's my wireless router, which I still can't configure.

There are a couple of small things I haven't figured out still. Like turning off what I assume are programmed auto screens to click to various sites like Amazon.

Looks like ass? I'll ponder your description Kvatch.

Anonymous said...

Hey Dave... I should apologize. I was trying to be snarky, but forgot the sniley face.

I have to admit that, as a T-Mobile customer, I was tempted by the Google phone as well. But, design wise, when I stack it up to the iPhone or the HTC Touch Diamond, I just looks clunky. Hopefully the coming plethora of apps will make it a phone worth having.