Sunday, November 02, 2008

Size

We have small, medium, large, extra large and so on.

In womens’ sizes we have petite, etc.

Those I understand, other than the part about a large isn’t necessarily a large, depending on what you are buying.

What I don’t understand is number sizing. How do we get halves? I’m not talking about inches, a 16 ½” neck is what it is. An inseam and an arm length are what they are. But, who figured out a size 10 shoe? They screwed up. If they hadn’t, we wouldn’t have size 10 ½ shoes.

It’s got to be the original person. They didn’t think it through.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Widths get even weirder: B is narrow, C is normal, D is wide, E is extra wide, and after that you just keep adding Es.

I have to special-order shoes for my duck-like feet: 10½-EEEEE, give or take an E.

fermicat said...

Why not just size shoes by actual length and width?

Women's clothing sizes are also screwball. Sometimes I can fit into a "4" (a number which has no relationship to any of my actual measurements), but other times I have to get a "6" or even an "8". But I am the size I am -- only the number I buy ends up being different. Obviously, I am slightly buoyed when a "4" does the trick, and irritated at having to buy an "8". It isn't rational, but neither are those arbitrary sizes!

And don't get me started on bra sizes...

Jenn said...

yea don't get started on bra sizes. LOL because I swear my cup changes size each time I buy a brand new bra! D no wait DD no wait D no wait C ... ugh... and of course the DD is flattering it isin't very cconsistant.

Unknown said...

The Euro-weenies have the shoe size thing figured out. I wear a 46. I have to wonder what a size 10 looks like in Europe.