Tuesday, January 27, 2009

I'm Tired of Talking Points

I’ve read a number of articles over the last week and watched and listened to TV and radio news.

All I read, see and hear are quotes from the squabbling pols and talking heads.

I’ve totally lost track of what they are proposing to do other than the fact that the Democrats have dropped their plan to spend a bunch of money for condoms.

Then I heard today that whatever the hell they’re going to spend money on to “stimulate” the economy isn’t going to happen in the near future – the agencies aren’t capable of gearing up and throwing away money (or wisely investing it) this year and for the most of next year.

And no one seems able to tell me just what, point by point, this money is going to do. We seem to have a more leisurely rush to spend for the sake of spending that we had last fall.

I know we need to spend money on infrastructure and that is part of Obama’s plan; but, just how is spending a good number of billions over say four or five years gong to end the credit, employment, housing, etc. crises we face now? And are we in a deep crisis? I’m told many times a day that we are. But again, step by step, tell me just what is wrong and what needs to be done to fix it.

We seem hell bent on doing something, anything, everything.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

It does seem like we just lurch from crisis to crisis, forever stomping out fires and never really formulating a long-term plan.

Anonymous said...

" elections have consequences"

Unknown said...

"Don't just do something, stand there!"