Tuesday, October 21, 2008

It's "You're Pre-approved Season" Again

There seems to be a cycle to credit card offers. Three or four times a year, for a couple of weeks each, I get credit card offers. I'm always "pre-approved." I got one yesterday and two this morning.

One of today's is funny. Though you wouldn't know it until you got to the fine print, it's from Barclay's. In big print on the front I'm told they'll give me up to a $15,000 credit line (kind of stingy, it's usually $25,000). On the back, buried in the mice type is the sentence "[d]epending on our review of your application and credit history, we will assign a GENEROUS credit line, the minimum being $250." (Emphasis added.)

I think I'll pass on this one.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I guess they want to get the credit cards into consumer's hands before "black Friday" signals the start of the seasonal buying frenzy.

Jeni said...

Those lovely "Capital One" pre-approved credit things are always showing up in my mail box and each one of them goes directly into the deep six area! The last thing in the world I need is a credit card like that -or like any, for that matter!

Anonymous said...

Maybe they meant "250K", just forgot that last bit. I mean...hey...with a credit line like, skipping the country looks sort of attractive! :-)

Sonja's Mom said...

I don't know what Jeni's "deep six area" looks like but mine has very sharp teeth. If you don't have a shreader you should get one.