Friday, October 03, 2008

Rabble Rousing

Remember, I'm not an economist, but:

Back in the first part of July, crude oil topped $145 a barrel. Gas here in Atlanta at the lowest cost retailer (QuikTrip) was about $4.09 a gallon.

Crude oil recently went below $100 a barrel, yesterday it was about $95, or less than two-thirds of the July per barrel price. Two-thirds of $4.09 is $2.69.

Atlanta for the last month has had aberrant gas prices due to the effect of Gustav, Hannah and Ike on refineries on the Gulf Coast. Gas at QuikTrip today is about $3.95 a gallon. Shouldn't it be, say $3.25?

4 comments:

Jeni said...

I think gas prices here are now around $3.53-3.59 a gallon so if they would drop to say, $3.25 I'd be pleasantly surprised and sort of happy. I'd be much, much happier though if they went down to a nice cool $2.75 a gallon though and especially if the fuel oil prices dropped accordingly! Yes, I do like to dream, don't I?

Hedy said...

It's like the credit card companies - immediately charge your card when you make a purchase, but when you return something it'll take 'up to two weeks to process.' Right.

molly gras said...

woo-wee! today I paid $3.29 a gal. from my local Citgo; in today's economic environment, I certainly have no problem with buying gas from a Bush-hating, Venezuelan company (unlike some of my crazy Conservative friends!)

Jenn said...

I doubt you will see it drop that low. We should be below 3 bucks a gallon right now, but hey, I am all for a solar powered car right about now. How is the gas crisis up there? Will you be taking next week off like the state is telling everyone to?