Wednesday, October 08, 2008

Religious Censorship

There’s been some news and editorial coverage lately about conservative ministers trying to bait the IRS into denying their churches’ tax exempt status because they are preaching politics.

As a lawyer, I should probably go and look at the IRS Regulations before I spout here; but, for what I have to say, I don’t think I need to.

As a person, I’ve always been uncomfortable with religions getting involved with politics, be it lobbying for public aid for religious schools or the Jerry Falwells and Michael Pflegers of the world pushing their views on the rest of us.

I actually didn’t know that a church had to be non-political to maintain its tax exempt status and I really don’t understand why it has to. The Democratic Party is tax exempt as is the Republican Party. The Moral Majority and the Anti-Defamation League are both tax exempt and are both related to religious entities. Planned Parenthood and Operation Rescue ditto. All can espouse political views but a Southern Baptist minister, a Catholic priest and a Jewish rabbi can’t?

Churches, charities and political groups are all tax exempt. Why are churches restricted in promoting their members’ political views and other non-profits aren’t? Maybe I’m missing something; but, it doesn’t make sense to me.

"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances."

I don’t see an “except from the pulpit” clause in there.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

There's nothing in the constitution that says churches shall be exempt from paying taxes.

The IRS seems to be saying that if you want a special exemption, you have to play by special rules. I don't see anything wrong with that.

Dave said...

Thomas, you are right about the First Amendment. That said, if churches are considered to be non-profit organizations, organizations that are thought to be for the good of all of us, like charities and political action groups, they should be treated the same way. Or, all tax exempt organizations should lose their exemptions.

In these trying times, it might be a good idea to put our money where our mouths are - want to be a GOPer or a Dem? Part of the money you contribute goes to the Fed in the way of taxes. Do you tithe? Your ten percent will be reduced by your marginal tax rate. Et cetera, et cetera.

I perhaps should have talked about the Equal Protection clauses.

Sonja's Mom said...

Since churches are presumedly open to all of faith, I would think that their members may be of many different political parties. I would resent going to a church that espressed one political party (view) over another especially if it was not my view. Churches should be non-partisan or give equal time to all.

I firmly believe in the seperation of church and state and that applies to the church as well as the state.

Debo Blue said...

For years Black churches have preached politics and have remained tax exempt. Most of my earliest memories of my father was in church compelling the other members to vote for this candidate or that candidate.

Indeed, I believe many Black churches continue this practice but I don't think they openly lean toward one group as they used to.

I hope the government doesn't remove the tax exempt from churches simply because of the pulpit making political speeches.

Posol'stvo the Medved said...

I don't care about the tax exempt stuff. But as you listed everything that is currently tax exempt, it began to make me wonder if we shouldn't be cutting out some of these exepmtions... I mean, PACs are tax exempt?!?!

I (like Sonjas Mom) am for the separation of church and state, but that is sort of a one way street. The gov't can't tell you what religion you are. There is nothing anywhere that says that churches can't support a particular political agenda. Heck, isn't that what churches do? Tell you what to think so you don't have to do your own thinking?

And there are people for whom this arrangement is just fine. Not me, mind you. My church tells me who to vote for, or what issues to support, and I will be in the market for a new church. Even if what they are telling me agrees with my existing agenda.

But that's my choice.

Anonymous said...

Debo Blue brought up an interesting point.

When did the "No Politics" rule go into effect? Was this put in place in the 50s as a way to suppress the civil rights movement?