Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Coming Attractions

Just left Big Rick, who, in his less than kind way, told me the blog has been sucking lately.

He reminded me that I have not finished the 9/11 story. He's right. Soon.

An aside, why is that day universally known as 9/11 rather than September 11? I've always thought that the latter is more elegant. I assume the label is a media construction, though I may be wrong.

I always compare the poor labeling, in my mind to "December 7, 1941, a day that will live in infamy." Different eras, different sensibilities?

I always thought one of the few speeches that the current President has given that resonated was his initial reaction to that day. It hasn't held up like FDR's but it's as close as he will ever get.

7 comments:

Cynthia said...

I agree on the crisis naming and subsequent phrases. It's just one more sign of the degradation of elegance and class in our culture and language.

Posol'stvo the Medved said...

I actually suspect it rolls off the tongue easier due to our institutional familiarity with the number you dial in case of emergency.

I also think that's somewhat appropriate, to refer to that date using a numeric sequence normally associated with some sort of emergency. It's like flying the flag upside down as a distress signal.

Maybe you're right though -- maybe we're just lazy.

Posol'stvo the Medved said...

Oh and about the blog "sucking" -- I wouldn't say that, but I have been wondering if you've been experiencing a, oh, I dunno, a rut, for lack of a better word.

Knock knock - it's cancer! said...

The odd thing is that it is being remembered as 9/11 in other languages, not just english. I know in romanian and german they use the numbers as well, rather than the month.

I think whatever the reason...the whole world's caught on.

The Curmudgeon said...

I always assumed it was the identity with the emergency telephone number.

Anonymous said...

As a native New Yorker, folks always ask me how did I feel about "9/11". I often responded that September 11th was not a good day, trying to get in touch with my mom and all (we live a few blocks from WTC). Pretty much after that, no one asks.

Others have said its ease may be a reason; in today's day and age where texting is the "norm", 9/11 is easier/faster to type than September 11 ~ the younger generation has no idea...

fermicat said...

I guess every blog needs to have someone like Rick. For mine, I have my sister. She is not my most frequent visitor (far from it), but she is most likely to call me on it if I am not writing well, or she doesn't like the subject matter.

September 11 is still difficult to write about (in my opinion). Too fresh and raw to have to cool perspective, but that doesn't mean that first-hand accounts are not welcome. I would like to hear the rest of your story, when you are ready to deliver it. No rush.