Thursday, July 05, 2007

Pizza, The Next Day

I was lazy yesterday. I played golf in the morning. I'm happy to announce that I had the best score I've ever achieved, and that was with two quad (four over par) holes.

One of them was interesting. I addressed the ball on the tee box. I swung. The ball pulled a little but looked like a good shot. Following the ball, on a lower trajectory, but on a line with the shot was the head of my three wood which I quickly learned had broken off from the shaft.

Good news. Ping has a life time guarantee. As I type, the separated parts are winging their way to Phoenix. A new shaft will be wedded to the old head, for free, including shipping, and all will be right in my golf world.

Oh yeah the pizza.

I lazed around in the late afternoon with the intention of going to the grocery store. I had stuff in the pantry and the freezer. There was stuff other than condiments in the refrigerator but it needed to be sent to the great garbage pile in the sky.

I couldn't bring my self to make the trip. I then thought of going on a fast food run. No dice. I settled on delivery pizza. Not too bad. First time in a long time.

So here's the point of the post. I have half left. Since it's been a long time, I've forgotten the best way to reheat. Google to the rescue. All the results say don't microwave it because it gives you a soggy crust. That I knew. What I wanted to know was the oven temp and time. I've settled on preheating at 400 and checking at five minutes. I'm torn between putting it on the cookie sheet bare to the element and the source that said I should cover it with foil.

If the results are interesting or funny, I'll let you know. Otherwise, if you have a foolproof way of reheating, let me know. But, by the next time I order delivery pizza, I'll probably forget.

9 comments:

fermicat said...

I keep a pizza stone in the oven (it adds thermal mass and helps when you cook other things, even if you don't place them directly on it). Put the pizza on some foil and place that right on the pre-heated stone. Crisp crust and hot pizza in no time!

Debo Blue said...

I've always hated pizza. We didn't eat Italian food when I was growing up so when I discovered pizza, I was in my teens and that discovery-the greasy doughy pile of stuff-was enough to convince never to eat the stuff.

Oh yeah, back to your question.

The best way to reheat pizza is to order a new one and donate the other to your pet(s).

Debo Blue said...

PS-I love it when you boss me around.

Posol'stvo the Medved said...

I am obviously in the minority here, but there has always been a certain something about eating a slice of cold pizza right out of the fridge that I enjoy. Like a frozen Snickers, or fried ice cream, it isn't the same as the traditional temperature, and some people don't like that, but I do.

Probably an acquired taste stemming from limited kitchen facility availability in college.

As an aside, I seem to recall that Pizza Hut boxes used to have reheating instructions printed on the box. Since all Pizza Huts near me have boarded up and moved out of town under cloak of darkness, I don't know if they still do.

SonjaB said...

I reheat in the toaster oven. What did we do before pizza delivery on those day when we didn't have anything to cook and were too lazy to go out? Thank God for the pizza man.

Dave said...

A note to the rest of you, Fermi is celebrating a year in the blogging business today.

I don't have a stone. I settled on the following method. Preheat to 400. Pizza on foil on the broiler pan thingy in the middle of the oven. Seven minutes was just right.

Debo, I did end with please? But dammit, you have to write more often.

Left over pizza in a college dorm? Never happened where I was. As an aside to pizza and college, I went to school in Ann Arbor, Michigan, just down the road from Ypsilanti, the home of Dominoes. Back then, they'd deliver a small and a big coke for two bucks and that included a measly tip.

Sonja, how's the job hunt going?

Posol'stvo the Medved said...

(OFFTOPIC) Dave -- remember how you were saying that you are not always getting email notifications on comments? It just happened to me. Turns out that your comment, as well as that of my sister in law, were trapped by my mail server's spam filter. Think that might be happening to you?

Dave said...

Pos, It went away and now it's back. For the last couple of days I've had to check the posts to see if there's a comment. To the rest of you, if I miss one, I apologize.

Keith said...

If it's headed to Phoenix, you better hope it doesn't melt when it gets here.

As for your pizza reheating issue? It's not a problem here today. Just set it out on the sidewalk for a couple of minutes. Any longer and it will burn.

Seriously!