Sunday, July 29, 2007

You Asked For It

I've been posting a bit less lately. A missing muse?

The comments to my last post, which talked about not writing, were mixed. Some said write only when you feel like it and others said write.

First, I don't labor over the writing that appears here. That shows in more often than wanted, when rereading what I've written, lack of polish. The sub-heading to the blog says "Comments, and on my pretentious days, essays, on what on a given day interests, amuses, annoys or outrages me." The problem has been a lack of interest, amusement, annoyance and outrage. The world is out there, it just isn't tickling me to react.

So, here's how I've spent this cloudy, fairly humid, Sunday morning:

Up at about eight and started water to make coffee. I use a french press and yesterday I bought some estate Colombian beans from a shop called Cool Beans in Marietta. About a month ago, I took the glass "dishwasher safe" beaker out of the dishwasher and noticed a hairline crack.

This morning the hairline crack gave birth to wholesale collapse of the carafe when I plunged the plunger. The counter and the floor needed some scrubbing anyway.

I couldn't decide whether to go somewhere for breakfast, which for me is really just coffee and maybe a bagel, or go to Target and get a new coffee press.

Target won out. But, Target didn't have any coffee presses.

More decisions. There's a new Walmart fairly near me. Why would I have thought that Walmart, even an urban location would carry coffee presses?

There was a Waffle House on the way home. It had coffee, not very good. But it had the necessary caffeine. I also ate my weekly allotment of fat and cholesterol and read part of the paper.

Back home, I finished the paper and the coffee in a to-go-cup.

Online, I found that Amazon.com has replacement carafes that after you add shipping costs are about as much as a new press.

Off to Bed Bath and Beyond which sold me a very nice new Bodum coffee press. Before starting to write this, I made a couple of cups and am sipping the first as I type.

Next up in my very exciting life, clothes in the washer and dishes (not the new carafe) in the dishwasher.

To close, I think I'll wait for the muse before my next post.

5 comments:

fermicat said...

I find that when I stop posting for a while, that is when ideas come to me. I think people should post whenever they damn well please.

Dave said...

So, being not a coffee person, how would you rate my morning?

fermicat said...

Pretty annoying from the sounds of it. I would be cranky if I couldn't make my tea when and how I wanted it. Otherwise your day sounds a bit like mine.

I had ten days worth of newspaper to catch up on. I did laundry and dishes, and vacuumed the house. PDM went into work to put the finishing touches on the final exam for his class. Neither of us felt much like grocery shopping and cooking, so we had dinner at Hot Wok (it is an indian-influenced chinese place near Barnacles).

Posol'stvo the Medved said...

Glad to see you back. And as a coffee person, I have had days like yours. Not good. Not fun. At all.

I had a day like yours a couple of months back. Thought I'd written a post about it. Realized I hadn't -- that I'd only written an email about it to my wife.

Perhaps I should post it...

Posol'stvo the Medved said...

Okay. It's up now, in case you are interested. Actually, it's up even if you aren't interested.