Monday, September 10, 2007

September 11, 2001, Part 5, Coming Home

This final installment has three parts, finishing the story of the couple I met in the café, describing the efforts to get home, and the going home, and finally what I took away from my unwilling stay in New Jersey six years ago tomorrow.

The couple first. They were both architects from New England. They had flown into Newark the night before for a flight that Tuesday morning out west for a vacation, as I recall to Arizona.

They had taken off almost simultaneously with the strike on the first tower. The pilot came on the intercom and told them they would be landing again at Newark. “Don’t worry, there’s nothing wrong with the plane, there’s been a plane crash into a building in Manhattan and we’ve been ordered to return.

As they circled, they saw the smoke rising from the tower in the middle distance.

As we got to know each other over the next couple of days over meals and just wandering around the lobby (people did that, there wasn’t much else to do, your fellow prisoners became your nodding neighbors, not necessarily talk, but an acknowledgement that you knew each other) I learned that they were, I don’t quite like this word, delightful, people.

They beyond telling of their quick “go around” at the airport, didn’t want to talk about what was happening. They’d ask me things about my life and tell stories about themselves, each filling in the other’s paragraphs, yes they talked in paragraphs. I passed a lot of hours with them, that I’d liken to going next door and sitting on their porch.

We exchanged cards; but, I never called, and neither did they.

Segment two.

Throughout the week, I looked into ways to get home. As I said early on in this series, I’d messed up by not immediately renting a car or getting a reservation on Amtrak.

I was left with calling Delta three or four times a day. The agents were kind and quite non-committal. “We have you in the system to go back to Atlanta, when we are allowed to send a plane to Atlanta; but, we have no idea when that is going to happen.” There was no problem, of course with canceling my flight Thursday to Kentucky. “No problem Dave. Just let us know when you want to reschedule, there’s no change fee. Give us a call later on today if you want an update.”

Sometime on Thursday, I think, I got a voicemail from Big Rick (if you haven’t been reading me for a while, do a search for the name on the blog, he appears, for better or worse, a lot in my life) “Dave, Jim (another friend) and I’ve been talking, you start walking south, we’ll get in the car and head north, we’ll meet you, we figure just south of New Jersey. We’re serious. Call and we’ll set it up.”

I’m not much of a walker so I later thanked him for his kind offer (the voicemail had loud music in the background, it turned out he’d called from my neighborhood bar, mentioned in the first part of this story.).

Friday, my calls to Delta increased in frequency, especially in the afternoon. Newark airport was starting flights that evening; and, a couple of my fellow inmates told of scheduled flights they had that night.

Mid-evening, I called Delta for the seventh or eighth time that day. “Dave, we have been slotted for a flight tomorrow mid-morning and you’re on it. We have no idea if it will really go, best we can tell you is go to the airport, first thing and take it from there. Good luck.” I walked down to the desk and told them I’d be leaving in the morning and asked if I could make a reservation for Saturday night, in the event the plane didn’t fly. Yes I could.

I got up on Saturday morning, the 15th, and had breakfast. There wasn’t much to pack. I had my choice of my suit pants and the I Love New York tee-shirt or the suit with the now dingy white shirt (in case you are wondering, they sent dry-cleaning out at the Sheraton, and where ever they sent it was shut down). I chose the suit, white shirt and the tie. Rumpled, but proper.

I got a cab over the highway to the airport. Almost no traffic. The whole way, every couple of hundred feet there were alternating National Guard troops and New Jersey State Troopers standing next to their vehicles. The troops had machine guns. The Troopers had shotguns.

I got off at the Delta departure door and walked inside. An airport security guy asked for my driver’s license and ticket. The license wasn’t a problem, the ticket of course was for the previous Tuesday evening. “No problem, go over to the ticket counter and they’ll take care of you. Oh, can I look in your bag?” He did and I did.

I got a new ticket and a BOARDING PASS from the agent, but not before another guard looked in my bag and wanded my body. “That way sir. Have a good flight.”

I got to security and there was a line of a couple of hundred people waiting. I inched forward. Every ten or so yards there was a Trooper or a troop, with the same respective weapons.

When I got to the conveyor and the magnetometer, I’d figured out the drill. Everything came out of your pockets, your belt came off as did your shoes. A security person looked into your bag before it went on the conveyor, another while it passed through, and a third as it came off.

I fumbled with change, wallet and papers to put in the bowl. “Take your time sir, we aren’t in a hurry,” he said and smiled.

We sat and sat. The flight was called and a small happy murmur went up. Boarding happened pretty quickly. The doors shut. The crew was beaming. The passengers were a bit tense. The Captain said “ I want to welcome you to Delta flight XYZ from Newark to Atlanta. There’s very little traffic so we should be in ahead of schedule. For me, the crew, and Delta, we are very happy that we are flying again and that you are with us. Enjoy the flight, and thank you for flying Delta..”

There was a smattering of applause. We took off, as the wheels left the ground, a bit more applause, which grew and grew. The flight attendants smiled. Passengers laughed.

As we approached Atlanta, the Captain came on again. “As you can imagine, we have very little traffic. We will be at the gate well ahead of schedule. I want to thank you again for flying with us. It’s been a rough week for all of us and there are some rough times ahead. But we are flying and we’ll keep flying. Thank you for choosing Delta.”

We landed to more applause, smiles and laughter.

So what have I taken from that week? In reverse order, the Captain’s words, the crews’ and passengers’ smiles, the security guard’s reassurance that I was ok, my architect friends’ refusal to be bowed by events, Joe’s perseverance, pluck and less than sober friendship, my cabbie’s tears, Rick’s, Jim’s, the Federal Judge’s, my bartender’s, my office manager’s and Charlie’s concern and humanity. Notice a theme here? People. They aren’t all that bad. Should we need a crisis to be good to each other? No, of course not. But day in and day out we don’t show each other that we care. It takes crisis and tragedy for us to reach out to each other. Six years ago this week, I found out that friends, family and strangers cared about me. That’s a good thing.

9 comments:

Keith said...

Hey Dave,

I really enjoyed reading your 9/11 story. Thanks for sharing it with us.

It is very sad that it takes a crisis for us to be nice to each other.

I try to be nice in everyday living. Do I fail sometimes? Absolutely. But I keep trying.

The other day I was going through the checkout line at the grocery store and it was very crowded. The customers were really giving the lady that was checking them out a hard time. Like she wasn't going fast enough for them because they were in too much of a hurry. By the time I got up to her it was obvious to me that she was not having a very good day that day. I told her that she handled the mean folks very well and in a professional manner. I then asked her if she was thirsty. She said she was. I asked her what she wanted and she said a big can of the Arizona Iced Tea with Lemon. I grabbed one and told her to ring it up with my purchase and gave it to her.

We parted ways with a smile.

fermicat said...

Good writing, Dave. Thanks for sharing.

Jeni said...

From reading your story -in the various segments you presented on your blog - to Keith's comments here, along with Dr. Sardonicus and you both putting in a good word too for the "Warm the Globe" thing my friend up in British Columbia devised, are all great displays there that for openers, the cup is half full. We can be warm, decent, civilized individuals with much to offer each other with sometimes no prodding, now and again, maybe a gentle poke in the side. But overall, as we begin the observation of the sixth anniversary of a terrible, very tragic day in the world's history - not just our country's -it does give one pause to sit and think, then to try to act in a better way, wherever, whenever possible.
Your story Dave, was one I found very profound, very moving.

Monica said...

I've been reading your posts about that day. I haven't read such an indepth personal experience from someone I (well kinda)know. I know I haven't watched the movies WTC and Flight 93. I can't watch a war movie. (I had watched Pearl Harbor just months before we were attacked).

I am glad that you are okay. I'm sad for the ones lost in the attacks that day not just in NY but at the Pentagon and on all four airplanes.

The attacks that day affected all of us, some with more personal losses and sacrifices than others. As a country most definitely but I will always remember the sympathy after the initial shock for all those lost and their families.

Reading your first-hand experiences, I feel for every one of you who witnessed and lived it firsthand that day, not just through the media.

Take care of you.

SonjaB said...

I really enjoyed your story. Those of us who were at home can only imagine what it was like. I was actually supposed to be in D.C. that week in vacation, but we moved it up a week. Talk about fate stepping in.

Your right, I think it is a shame that we as a society wait until there is a crisis to be nice to each other. I guess we get so wrapped up in our own stuff, we forget about the others around us. Sometimes is takes a tragedy for us to take the blinders off.

katherine. said...

I found you via Second Effort...and have really enjoyed reading of your experiences.

thank you so much for sharing them with everyone.

Dave said...

Katherine, funny how these things work. As I was reading your blog, having gotten there via Curmudgeon, the "bell" rang announcing that I had an Email, telling me you'd commented. Thanks for the kind words.

Anonymous said...

Very nice series, Dave. i suspect many hours of sometimes painful recollection went into writing it.

Thanks for taking the time.

dr sardonicus said...

Finally got around to reading the last bits. Excellent.