Tuesday, October 09, 2007

Baseballnomics

Scot Boras is Bonkers.

And you thought I read the NYTimes for the liberal stuff.

It has an article today about Mr. Boras (I really like the Times sensibility of the first time a person is mentioned in an article their full name is set out and after that they are Mr., Mrs., Ms. Whomever).

Anyway, Mr. Boras feels that Alex Rodriguez should exercise a right to opt out of the last three years of his ten year, $252 million contract that would pay him ninety-one million dollars for the next three years.

The article opines that Mr. Boras could ask $300 million dollars for Mr. Rodriguez’s services over the next ten years. Mr. Rodriguez is 32.

Mr. Boras recently made news here in Atlanta by saying that Andruw Jones, the Braves’ center fielder, and also his client, was worth $20 million dollars a year for the next seven years. The Braves declined to discuss the matter further with Mr. Boras. Mr. Jones is, I believe, also 32.

Now, I kind of understand asking a stupid amount of money for Mr. Jones (he’s making $13.5 million a year now) and settling for something less. But which stupid billionaire is going to pay $30 million a year for an aging superstar? He’s good, but is he that good?

I’m not a millionaire. I’m not going to be one. Maybe there’s a reason for that. I don’t have the mental make-up to ask for ridiculous things. I’m going to look into this bonkers thing. It seems to pay.

5 comments:

fermicat said...

I hear the Yankees have deep pockets. I can't see anyone else being interested in such ridiculous prices.

dr sardonicus said...

Seeing as how A-Rod will eventually own the career home run record if he stays healthy, there may be several teams willing to pick him up. Most likely, though, Boras is trying to get a raise for his client from the Yankees.

Ron Davison said...

I say we all get agents. I like the idea of someone asking for millions for me. Now if I could just get my stats up.

The Curmudgeon said...

The White Sox have refused to deal with Mr. Crazy Boras in the past -- that's why Magglio Ordonez is a Detroit Tiger.

But Joe Crede signed with Boras....

I don't get Boras at all. Who's able to pay A-Rod more than the Steinbrenners?

And aren't the Rangers still picking up a portion of A-Rod's salary? I mean, even now?

Dave said...

Curmudgeon, I read that if A-Rod, I really don't like those truncations, "opts out" of the last three years, Texas is off the hook, to the tune of eight figures a year, as he is opting out of the original contract and the deal between Texas and New York for the subsidy also dies. That makes the marketability even less enticing.