Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Post Potpourri

I just skimmed ajc.com and nytimes.com for the second time today; and, some cnn.com and npr.org for the first time. I watched some Fox News on TV, all California wildfires all the time.

Despite the subtitle for the Blog, nothing “on [this] given day interests, amuses, annoys or outrages me" sufficiently to inspire a post.

So, I’ve seen it on other blogs, I’ve seen it in newspapers by columnists that need a call-in column, though it’s never been done here: a bunch of stuff that is of minor interest to me and probably of no interest to you:

It has rained somewhere in metro Atlanta every day since last Thursday I think. The little pictures on my home page say that there will be rain tomorrow, Thursday and Friday. It hasn’t been, and won’t be, enough to make even a small dent in the drought; but, it’s nice to know that, one, I remember how to turn on the windshield wipers, and two, they still work.

Kid Rock was arrested here Sunday at about 6:00 a.m. I’m not a fan; but, I have a connection to the incident. I left home about quarter after eight on Sunday morning to play golf. As I traveled south on Buford Highway, at the intersection of Cheshire Bridge Road/Lenox Road (we have an interesting phenomenon here, roads that cross other roads often change names: Cheshire Bridge which runs nominally east from Piedmont Road, when it hits Buford, becomes Lenox which dead ends at the same Piedmont Road about eight or nine miles north of where Cheshire starts at Piedmont, having looped back west. OK, look at a map, I swear it’s true) there was a really nice looking silver gray tour bus in the right of three lanes with a lot of DeKalb County Police cars behind and beside of it. I thought it odd.

WEATHER UPDATE: Direct TV just went out which only happens when there is really bad weather and IT IS STARTING TO RAIN. Not the quick front coming through with not much water deposited kind of rain. Rather the sustained soaking rain. Damn, the signal just came back.

Back to the reportage. Yesterday morning, the AJC had a story on Kid’s arrest for involvement in a fight at the Waffle House on Buford Highway, just north of where I saw the tour bus. The details are pedestrian. The interesting part about the story is what wasn’t in it. Kid had a concert at a downtown venue which causes the question, what was he doing ten miles north of downtown about five or six hours after the concert ended? My supposition? Bars in the City of Atlanta close at 2:30 a.m. Bars in DeKalb County close at 4:00 a.m. There are five within a mile of the Waffle House where the incident happened. My guess is that Kid and the entourage were enjoying some of DeKalb’s famous night life.

This has turned into a full post. I guess what they say about just start writing is true. And, it's still raining.

10 comments:

Keith said...

Wow Dave, I'm impressed man! A post about Kid Rock. I just happened to buy his brand new CD a couple of weeks ago and I found it to be his best work yet. While I'm not a huge fan, I do think he is talented. My wife and I saw him a few years back when he opened for Aerosmith. I must say I was quite impressed with his musical talent. He was performing a song (I don't remember what the title was) and he went around the stage and did a solo on EVERY musical instrument that was up there. Guitar, bass, drums, keyboards, sax, trumpet, harmonica and I am probably missing one somewhere. But the dude can play all of those, and play them extremely well.

On a side note, he is actually here in town tonight at the Arizona State Fair. I won't be seeing him because I have to get up real early for work in the morning.

As for his arrest? He probably deserved it, but boys will be boys. Especially the "rock star" types.

Dave said...

I guess he didn't use the tour bus to get you your town as he bonded out on Sunday afternoon.

The incident of boys being boys was just that. Kid Rock and his entourage were with a girl that a guy in the restaurant knew. Words and a bit of shoving ensued. The guy got a felony arrest for breaking a window with a cost of over $500.00. Kid and his guys only got misdemeanor charges for low level fighting or something like that.

Keith said...

Hey Dave, I had to send you this. He just better hope that Sheriff Joe doesn't try to get his name out again while he's here. Enjoy!

http://www.azcentral.com/ent/nightlife/articles/1024kidrock1023.html

fermicat said...

I thought the part about it happening in a Waffle House was classic.

I'm paying some attention to California wildfire news because it is happening very close to my sister's house. She is in an evacuation area, but so far it is not mandatory and she hasn't left.

The light rainfall is a nice change of pace. It is usually a torrential thunderstorm or nothin'.

Anonymous said...

Now why can't my posts about nothing sound like this?

Poor Kid...dumped by the Hoochie Queen and now being arrested for brawling at a Waffle House. Seems Rap Stars and Rock Stars have more in common than we think:-)

Debo Blue

dr sardonicus said...

Now Kid Rock has been arrested both in Atlanta and Nashville. Heh.

I thought all your streets were named Peachtree. Learn something new every day...

That girl said...

Are you complaining that there isn't enough rain??

We can't figure out the way to turn it off, it rains about 8 months of the year here, like Seattle.

Yuck. I'd love to live in the sun.

Jeni said...

Hmmm. I think the last time I heard of any celebrity of consequence having a little go-round at a Waffle House was back in 1971 in Arlington, VA where then backup quarterback for the Redskins, Billy Kilmer, got arrested for trying to pay for a $3.00 tab with a $100 bill and the cashier had no change for that. He threw a fit and was arrested for disturbing the piece by an off-duty Arlington cop! Yeah - the inspiration for my eventual meeting of my ex-husband that scenario was! Brings back some memories to say the least. LOL
But you know Dave, it would appear your looking for topics to post on seemed to bring on the rainfall in Atlanta, such as it was, and perhaps you can use your blog posts as a sort of divining rod or means to bring more rain to your drought-ridden area. Just a thought.

Jeni said...

Back to Kid Rock episode again here - just watching Ellen DeGeneres after having read your post and this morning she has a blurb on there about the Kid Rock arrest in DeKalb, Ga., etc. Says she has exclusive video from an eye witness to the incident. The video - "Aunt Jemima" pancake syrup bottle talking and giving her interpretation of what happened. Too funny, really!

Posol'stvo the Medved said...

Hmmm. Coen Bros mention Waffle House in Fargo too.

But that was in the Dakotas. Or Minnesota. Certainly not in the south.