Sunday, October 21, 2007

A Shameful Choice

I added The New York Times in print to my Sunday reading a couple of months ago.

The first couple of weeks, I devoured it, after reading The Atlanta Journal-Constitution. But, it has become too much.

This morning, I got up about 6:30 a.m., started coffee and went to get the papers from outside the door. They weren't there! So, I fire up the computer and started reading the NYT online. A lot of what appears in it, and the AJC, in the Sunday paper is online beginning as early as Friday.

I heard a thump at about ten after seven. With more coffee, I started and finished the AJC and started the NYC by the time I had to leave at 8:30 a.m. I got back home a couple of hours ago and after puttering around read about half of the print portion of the NYT. I just quit. Too much. There are other things to do in life.

So, do I drop the AJC or the NYT newsprint? First, on a Sunday morning, I have to have newsprint in my hands. As poor as it is, I have to see what is happening around here, and that is best done by reading the poorly written and badly reported AJC. I can read most of the NYT online. Goodbye NYT

7 comments:

Jeni said...

The local paper here doesn't have a Sunday edition but the "local" paper the next county over does. Neither one of them tends to report ANYTHING -or not much anyway - of stuff from the area where I live. We're kind of in a no-man's land, I think. I read the local paper from the next county daily online, including reading it there on Sunday too but I absolutely HAVE to have the print version, mainly because I am addicted to the damned crossword puzzle in the Sunday edition. Not that I fare all that well with it, but it does give my mind a tiny bit of mental exercise I suppose.

Hedy said...

Good choice. I just spent 20 minutes stacking papers in the garage for Jim to bundle. We get two (yes) local papers plus the Chicago Tribune on Sundays and it's TOO MUCH.

fermicat said...

I spend my Sunday mornings (and early afternoon, as usually I awake between 9 and 10 and do not have enough morning hours) reading the Sunday edition of AJC while drinking tea, eating breakfast, catching up on internet stuff, walking around my yard, and feeding/playing with my cats. And also Saturday's paper (no time to read that, with football eating up my entire Saturday), and much of Friday's as well. I am reading sections other than the sports page and the front page, which I access the night before (sorry, can't wait). I couldn't handle yet another newspaper to get through. I'm behind enough with one. Not to mention all of the magazines that I don't get around to reading, as much as I want to.

Posol'stvo the Medved said...

I still don't read a print paper, but that's not really why I am here...

I just wanted to let you know that I responded to the comment you left over at my place about what cars you have owned/driven, and either you have not noticed, or you have noticed and are either annoyed or unimpressed by my response.

Ripple said...

Fare the well.

Ripple said...

I meant to say "Fare thee well". Of course, you knew that. so really this second post was unnecessary. Nevetheless, here it is...a correction on what was a dumb comment in the first place. But that's OK. So, are you drinking fresh ground coffee with that morning paper or is it from a can?

Dave said...

Ground coffee from premium beans in a coffee press. Doesn't get much better.