Sunday, October 14, 2007

This Food is Expired, Don't Eat It

Yesterday I made some, what to call it? I’ll just describe it. I had some pork tenderloin left over, some mushrooms and a can of oriental vegetables in the pantry, along with rice.

Sautee the pork, add the mushrooms, turn to low, add the vegetables and simmer. Put it all over the rice.

Sprinkle with soy sauce.

Except the whole thing was, my best description, too vinegary. I looked at the can of vegetables, “best used by somewhere in 2009.” The mushrooms were fresh, had had no smell and couldn’t be the cause. The soy sauce, I just checked again, has a “best used by June 11, 2009” stamp on the bottle, which has been in the frig for a few, maybe more, months. Does the date lose currency once you open the top?

Something went wrong, but I can’t figure out what it was.

Sometime ago, we switched from expiration dates to use by dates and then best used by dates.

These dates bother me most with dairy products. They use the current nomenclature, though if you use the milk more than a day beyond the best used by date, it turns out to be spoiled, expired in the old system.

So some of you are real cooks, not you Fermi. PDM, what should I believe?

4 comments:

Jeni said...

Boy, just when I was going to recommend to my daughters that they read your blog, you turn traitor on me with this "expiration date" in cooking stuff! My girls are always carping at me about using stuff that has an old date on it. I never pay any attention to that -normally - unless the girls decide to raid my cupboards and throw stuff out. And that really set my old Scottish blood to boiling - all that food, tossed in the trash; wasted! And for what good reason? A couple months, or a year? Gimme a break!

Monica said...

So basically I was thinking you are a good cook and that was worth a lot in my book and now I'm just wondering if..um...well, if we ever have dinner together? Why don't you just let ME cook, okay?

Take care of you. :)

Posol'stvo the Medved said...

so today at work, one of my co-workers handed me a plastic jug containing a yellowish clearish liquid. There was a solid white Glob in the center. The plastic jug was swollen, like a bloated tick and was fixin' to bust. (You're in the south -- I figure you'll understand what I mean by that.)

So, what do you figure this jug contained? Why, it was 1% milk that had an expiration date of 05/08/2007.

The most amusing aspect of this was the fact that after my co-worker showed it to me, he put it back in the fridge!

Dave said...

Blogger is acting really weird tonight. But unless it continues for awhile, it isn't worth talking about.

As to the milk, your collegue's problem is choice of milk. The whole milk that I buy and don't use mostly settles into a sludge. My best guess is that there are three or four half filled sludge quarts in the frig at the present time.