Thursday, August 09, 2007

A Blog Kind Of Thing.

I regularly read Curmudgeon, the author of Second Effort. He lives and works in "undisclosed locations" in the Chicago area. He's a White Sox fan and thus is suffering from clinical depression at this current point in time.

He did a post that referred to another blogger, Chris, that created yet another round-robin post thing. This one intrigued me. The deal is to go back in your archives and dredge up a post that you like. Put a link to it in your post and a link to the post where you found the idea. A traffic builder of sorts.

Other than the embedding URLs and my lack of ability to do it, I liked and feared the idea. Is there something out there in the archive, early on, that I like, that I want re-exposed?

I settled on http://ratherthanworking.blogspot.com/2006/10/golf.html and I am tired of trying to get that to read as the title of the post from last fall.

So read the old post, tell me what you think. Go over to, damn, another hyperlink. Go over to the Recommended sidebar and click Second Effort. Scroll down to the post that is titled something like "Best Shot" from Wednesday of this week. If nothing else, you find a guy that can write.

On that last subject, when you are done with the instructions above, or if you want to ignore them, go to the sidebar and click Pole Hill Sanitarium. The Doctor has a really good post today about Barry Bonds, society and a few other things. Some amazing writing and cogent thoughts.

5 comments:

dr sardonicus said...

A good blast from the past. Is there a law that requires lawyers and doctors to learn to play golf?

Also, thanks for the kind words.

Life Hiker said...

Ah, Golf! I loved your description of putting as "pool in three dimensions", and the Sergio story as an example of how golf so nicely combines sport and socializing.

I played a match-play match on Tuesday that came down to the last putt on the last hole; my 20-foot putt stopped 2 inches from the dead center front of the cup, so I lost, 1-up. My opponent shot 78, I shot 84. We had a wonderful time as each of us made great shots, chips, or putts to turn the tables on individual holes. I didn't really lose...I had a wonderful experience that I'll remember for a long time. Ah, Golf!

Jeni said...

Like the good (sometimes) little old lady I am, I followed all your directives. Enjoyed 'em all too!
I like and actually understand the game of baseball although I don't follow it as to teams, stats, players etc. But, it was a good, very interesting post that did put a lot of things into a different perspective. I read Curmudgeon's post - even took the damned test too and learned I'd barely be able to bring society up to the 10th century. I could have told 'em that before taking it had I known it involved THAT much science knowledge. LOL
And golf -now there's a game that just seems to bore the living daylights out of me! Although, back in the late 60's our employees' club where I worked then had a couple of the bigwigs there who were golf fanatics and offered instruction in the game, etc. One of our activities involved going to a driving range where my former boss had agreed to tutor some of us klutzy folks - like me and my best friend. Best friend has very big eyes - located on her chest, if you follow me - and had a really powerful swing. I had a strong enough swing but poor vision and couldn't hit the broad side of a barn, much less this little white thing sitting on that little tee. My boss told me "Dummy, if you ever do manage to connect with that ball, they'll never find it!" Was that a compliment, do ya think?
And, like the post about baseball, about the technological ability and the golf, I found your post interesting and well written too. Good analogy about golf bringing more civilization to society!

dr sardonicus said...

'Preciate the kind words.

Hey, wha' happened? I left a comment on this thread and the Grady Hospital thread yesterday, and neither one showed up. Hope the moderator hasn't banned me...

Dave said...

LF, I had a poor round today, twelve over; but, it was on the "Executive par 58" course, so it doesn't really count, 70. Worse, I had two birdies and still had that score. I like your description of the end of the match. We always play strokes rather than match. I may need to try match play to see what results.

Jeni,thanks for coming back. Can you get Debo to write more often?

Doc, I'm not sure what the problem is. I got your posts and I thought I "published" them. I'm on the home computer, so, I can't check. If I remember on Monday morning, I will correct the problem, if I can.