Monday, August 27, 2007

I'm Not Really Sure What a Transfat is...

but, my bet is that it makes sugar, flour, eggs, butter and other things that are bad for you taste even better. Dunkin' Donuts has “banned” transfats in its “menu.” (The “banning” word, given our wonderful government, doesn’t really mean there will be none of the pesky fat in a donut. It means there will be less than half of a gram in a “serving.” Do you think that a serving of a “menu item,” say a, now big ass donut, will become two “reasonable bites” from the big ass donut?)

I’m not the healthiest eater on the planet. I’m, well, reasonable about what I eat. Years ago a female friend said that diets are easy. “Skip the white stuff.” Fat starts out as white, then there are potatoes, flower, sugar, lots of breads, most gravy, rice, you get the idea.

But if we are going to on occasion eat something whitish, why do we insist on fooling ourselves?

There are things that we eat that aren’t good for us. An internist that I went to suggested cutting down on starches, sugars, fats and so on, my friend’s white stuff. But, he said that there was no problem with every now and again eating a greasy cheeseburger.

Moderation is a good approach to life; but, a word that is related to the “middle” allows skewing to the left and right. Celery is on the left and donuts are on the right. You need some of both.

3 comments:

Jeni said...

Remember when - I think it was back in the 80's -the Food/Health experts were telling us all the dangers that lurked in Red Dye in hot dogs? It was all going to kill us for sure. Jokingly, I had made a wisecrack that pretty soon they would be telling us that sex was bad for one's health and sure enough, along came the AIDS epidemic. Now it's all about fat this and fat that. Most doctors and diet advocates will usually advocate for the moderation route. At least, any that do follow that will get my approval but that doesn't necessarily mean I'll lose weight following their lead anyway.

Anonymous said...

Transfat?

Ain't that those big fellas that you sees all hanging outta their doublewide, dually trucks, wearing pit-stained, off-white and off-colored t-shirts, indecently leering at every young girl they pass on the interstate highway?

Funny ... we's always called'em bubba from where I come from :)

Life Hiker said...

St. Paul said something like "Do all things in moderation." That is the advice I gave my children when they were growing up, and now they keep telling me it's still their rule.

I just had my breakfast, which included a nice chocolate-covered doughnut. Maybe it was fried in transfat, but who cares? Even transfat is OK - in moderation.