Saturday, August 25, 2007

Happy Stuff

I've written a few diatribes this week. Big Rick sent me an Email after my post on W talking to the pictures on the wall at the White House, asking me to let him know when the IRS and Secret Service showed up, ending with his thought that I was bit over the top in my opinions.

So, no negativity for the rest of this week, which ends in about six hours. That I can do.

Earlier in the week Pos told me how to do the convection thing on my new baby oven. As I tap the keys, there is a wonderful smell wafting. I'm, as you read (well depending on when you are reading this) baking a bone-in, Boston Butt, pork roast. Salt, pepper, tarragon, sage, marjoram and wonderful Mojo Criollo (Cuban marinade). I just did it for an hour at 425 and turned it down to 325 for another half hour. Then we'll see what the probe tells us about internal temperature.

Next oven adventure is cherry pie. I bought all the stuff to make it. Well kind of. I'm not making the crust from scratch, way too much work. But, I did buy plain tart cherries to be mixed with corn starch, sugar, lemon extract and some other stuff that I don't remember just now. Late night great smells and flavor.

So how's that to end the week? OK, there might be better ways; but, I'm pretty happy with my smelly stuff.

Enjoy the rest of the week and start tomorrow well. I'm going to read a really great paper, the Sunday New York Times, and an OK paper, the local thing. Newsprint and caffeine. Doesn't get much better.

4 comments:

fermicat said...

Just finished eating another succulent meal that PDM made with no recipe - grilled shrimp seasoned with jalapeno and cayenne fresh out of our garden (and lime, salt, pepper, and a few things from the spice drawer). I steamed some green beans to go with.

How did the Boston Butt and cherry pie turn out? Cherry pie is my favorite kind of pie. And even better with vanilla ice cream.

Dave said...

I thought about planting herbs this year; but, I never got around to it. Mine are furnished in jars.

The roast was, and will be amazing. I went a touch past medium, next time I'll correct that. Cuban sandwiches tomorrow, with more Mojo.

I'm withholding judgment on the pie. It's sitting on the counter cooling. The Kroger $1.59 crust is done, such as such can be done. It doesn't look delicious. though the little bit I just pulled out tasted pretty good. I may have to actually make a crust next time.

fermicat said...

It is best to pull meat out of the oven a few degrees prior to the target temperature. The meat is still hot and will "coast" to the final temp.

Jeni said...

Food sounds yummy - especially the pie, even if it was a Kroger $1.59 model. If you decide in the future to make your own crust and want a great recipe, let me know. I'm always happy to share things like that. However, it makes enough for about 4 pies so you might want to cut it down. In the mean time, if you want your own pie crust (that you roll out, etc.) but don't want to make a big batch of the stuff, pick up a box of the Jiffy pie crust mix. It works pretty good, tastes almost as good as "real" homemade crust too.