Wednesday, August 15, 2007

I'm Not Sure What the Title Is

Yesterday, somewhere around one in the afternoon, I think, I lost a set of keys to my office and home. I think they went astray at McDonalds.

An aside, I don't much eat at McDonalds; but, I was hungry, there was no one in the office to eat with and I had stuff to do. It's a couple of miles away. I had two double cheese burgers, small fries and a small Coke. Didn't eat but about half the fries. My stomach was distressed for the rest of the day, though that might have something to do with what followed.

I got back to the office and realized that the "valet" attachment between the car key and car remote and the other keys had dis-attached, leaving me with just the remote and the the car key. Back to McDonalds. Nothing turned in. Back to the office and get a key from the Office Manager to duplicate and run home on the off chance that that's where they separated. Nope.

Get spare home key and go to General Hardware in Brookhaven, home of "50,000 Items;" and I believe it. Get extra keys made. Go back to the office. The new key works.

At the end of the day, the new home key doesn't work.

This afternoon I drive back to General Hardware. Everywhere should have a place like this, except for the part I'm going to get to. The aroma, I don't know what it is; but, the only place it exists is in a real hardware store. You look into the store. There's a central aisle with shelves on either side. The ceiling is maybe fourteen feet high with the shelves going to within a foot or so of it. There are signs at the side aisles; but, that is not the way you find things. You find one of the five or six guys that work there, that are the only people in the world that know where each and every one of the 50K items are. And they do.

You show them the broken piece, or the other piece. If you don't have them, you lamely describe what your problem is. They turn away from you and start walking into the labyrinth. You follow. They stop and look at the shelf in front of them and pick up the item you want. Usually what you want is small. They put it in a little manila envelope and put a price on the envelope. Most of the items on the shelves don't have prices; but, you don't mind getting ripped off, even if you are, and I don't think I have been, because most of my bills have been under two bucks.

A few years back, having moved, I was reassembling an antique drafting table that I have. There were little ancient screws that attached the leg/support piece to the table top. I was two short.
Read the previous paragraph again if you don't remember how the process works. Thirty-seven cents, plus tax.

So anyway, I drove over this afternoon. Having been there yesterday, I knew where the key machine was and walked there unassisted. There was a sign that read "Push button ONCE for assistance." I did. Within seconds a man appeared and looked at me.

"Hi. I got some keys made here yesterday. This one doesn't work. The teething is right but I think the blank is too wide because it won't go into the lock."

I held the good key next to the bad key as I said this. After my speech, he took both and examined them. He turned to the wall of keys and rummaged. He chose a blank, put it in the machine with the good key and ground. Then he buffed.

"You bought this here?"

"Yeah, want to see the receipt?" as I pulled it from my shirt pocket. He wasn't looking. He put the bad key and the good key on the counter and put the new key into a little manila envelope. He wrote "N/C" on the outside and handed it to me.

I smiled and said "thanks for your help," as he was turning away from me. Does it help to describe the ambiance to say that he wore bifocals with big lenses, down low on his nose, with a string attached to the earpieces, and looked piercingly over them at me the second or two that he actually looked at me during the encounter? I walked toward the front of the store. I stopped at the counter where the lady that had rung me up yesterday was sitting again, but facing away from me. I cleared my throat and she turned. I showed her my manila envelope with it's N/C. She smiled and said "see you."

I drove the few miles home and tried the key, it worked.

I guess there are all kinds of customer service.


13 comments:

Anonymous said...

You will probably find your keys when you trade in your Hoondie.

Posol'stvo the Medved said...

I have your keys. I used them to break into your office files and changed everything from alpha order to chronological.

fermicat said...

Thanks for the virtual trip to an old fashioned hardware store. I hope whoever has your keys does not also have your address.

Dave said...

Hey Rick, I thought of you on while looking at every inch of space on the floor, of the you have to admit, clean car. they weren't there.

Pos, either order would be fine. I'm not a very orderly person, ask Rick.

Dave said...

The keys are generic, no serial numbers; and, I have alarms. Like that does any good.

Life Hiker said...

I'm in Carolina doing maintenance on a property I'm leasing out. Two stores, one an ancient hardware and the other a "paint-only" store, did stuff for me that the "big boxes" couldn't dream of. And yes, the hardware had that same smell and a twin of the guy you described.

dr sardonicus said...

Last week I needed a new inner tube for a wheelbarrow tire. I took it to a small engine shop I know by the house. It's run by an older couple who are very helpful with any questions you may have, which I appreciate because small engine repair is not a subject I'm an expert in.

The old fellow took the tire in back and put in a new inner tube while I had a nice chat with his wife on subjects ranging from the weather to Barack Obama. She mentioned that her grandfather had bought the three acres on which the shop stood 72 years ago for $500. Recently a developer came by and offered them $300,000 for the property. This offer has them seriously thinking of selling and retiring.

There's a hardware store in my hometown similar to the one you describe, right down to the shelves and the smell. Built in the 1850's, it even still has the old wooden floors. I swear you could still find tools from the 19th Century buried amongst the junk on those old shelves.

Jeni said...

I'm sure the stress had more to do with your tummy problems after ingesting two double cheeseburgers - yeah, right. But that's okay cause if I were to harangue you about having eaten that much, I'd also have to do the same to myself and I don't want to go down that road right now.
Sorry to hear you had the misplaced key episode but boy, sure is nice to know there are some places around that do give great customer service in the long run! The folks at our local hardware store tend to operate in much the same manner.

Anonymous said...

Voltaire once said, "There is a certain inevitable futility in indecision." I thought of that when I read your title. :o)

We had a wonderful hardware store here locally that was very close to what you described. It was run out of business by Home Depot. Family-owned businesses can't compete with the big corporations on price, and the public would rather complain about bad service than pay for good service.

Monica said...

I was in McDonald's yesterday and talked for a bit with a guy as we sat at two tables close together. I stopped in because it's the only place I have found that has Diet Dr Peppe in fountain although the local convenience store guy promised to check into getting it for me since I'll be living here. How cool is that for customer service?

Oh, I know I wasn't talking to you at Mickey D's though...he drove a Pepsi truck.

Take care of you.

The Curmudgeon said...

Nice to hear that customer service is not completely extinct. Merely endangered.

But did it have wood floors and high ceilings and a million little bins for every screw or nail ever imagined?

SonjaB said...

I have lost two sets of keys, one 9 years ago and the one 4 years ago. Never found either pair.

Nice to hear about places with great customer service

Dave said...

For those of you that don't know Rick, all of you, his comment and my response may have been a bit cryptic. Here's the back story.

A few years ago I moved. I had a moving company do the heavy lifting; but, there was some stuff that a pick-up truck was made for. So I borrowed Rick's.

I'm going to skip the middle of the story. I lost the key.

A year ago November I sold my car. When spiffing it up for sale, I found the key and returned it. Spiffing is a euphamism. I am not a tidy person; though, with the new car, I am keeping it tidy, going on two years now.

Next subject. I started writing this post while pissed off because I had to drive back to the hardware store because of a $1.59 key that ended up costing me about two buck in gas with the two trips. Reading your comments and re-reading the post, I see that my ire didn't make its way into the post, having given way to the interior description.

Finally, Curmudgeon, the floor is concrete; and, Monica, though it's heresy here in Atlanta, I prefer Pepsi.