Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Xenophobia or Proper Zoning?

I've noted a couple of times on this blog that my real-life v. cyber friends, for the most part consider me to be a liberal, commie, pinko sort of guy. My reaction to that is to actually use facts and logic. For the most part, they haven't changed their adjectives, so I don't know.

Every now and again, something comes up that challenges my world view. Better put, something comes up that I can't mesh with my several world views.

This time, and again, it's race relations. Atlanta has a simmering, latent, xenophobic ambiance. Merriam-Webster, online, defines xenophobia as: "fear and hatred of strangers or foreigners or of anything that is strange or foreign." Given that definition, which I think is correct, we really aren't xenophobic. We are xenophobic relativists with a bit of economic, provincial fear in the leavening.

No one here has a problem if you have a Swedish Au Pair living in your spare bedroom. But we very much prefer our non-blond, non-European hired help to leave the county by sundown, especially in the northern bedroom counties.

Cobb County, on the northwest side of Metro Atlanta has a long history of wanting to stem the tide of "others" moving to its environs. We have MARTA here: Metropolitan Atlanta Rapid Transit Authority, that operates trains and buses in Fulton and DeKalb Counties, the two most urban counties. Cobb for years would have nothing to do with it. Still won't but in the past couple of years has been sending its own buses to and from Intown train stations. Same with Gwinnett County on the northeast side of town. People on the north side used to, and may still in some quarters, say that MARTA stands for Moving Africans Rapidly Through Atlanta.

Given what I've written, you can see I'm not joining with my fearful north side neighbors. So, my dilemma? Cobb County passed an ordinance earlier this year that makes it illegal for people to live in a house or an apartment that doesn't have at least 396 square feet for each resident. Forsyth County the furthest north and most rapidly expanding bedroom county is considering a similar ordinance.

From today's Atlanta-Journal Constitution, online: "Chairman Charles Laughinghouse defended the draft ordinance. 'It doesn't target any specific ethnic group,' Laughinghouse said. 'It targets a specific problem that is becoming more prevalent, not only in Forsyth County but the metro Atlanta area.'"

Well, yes, he's right. The problem is that Cobb and now Forsyth want their "Mexicans" (all Hispanic people in Metro Atlanta are "Mexicans") to live elsewhere. (Back in the old days, way back in the late Eighties, Forsyth County used the old tactic of burning out or harassing black people that had the temerity to try to settle in the County. Hosea Williams, a colorful lesser light of the Civil Rights movement held a march on Forsyth that was hailed as a model of peaceful demonstration. Its peacefulness was enabled just a tad by a thousand or so Georgia State Troopers.)

So, again, where's my dilemma? Well here it is. I don't want to own a house, or live next door to a house, that has twelve guys living in it with six cars in the driveway and and in front on the street. Detracts from the neighborhood ambiance and the property values.

As much as I don't want to, I think I have to side with Cobb and Forsyth Counties. Though their ordinances are targeted directly at Hispanic people, they are reasonable zoning regulations. God, I hate facts and logic.

6 comments:

Posol'stvo the Medved said...

There are two "isms" you talk about here (classism and racism), and one is a product of the other... Not sure which is the chicken and which is the egg though.

What you are describing sounds like classism to me. (Note -- I don't know you well enough to call you a classist, so please read nothing into that.)

Seems to me you wouldn't change your mind if it were 9 white dudes. Or nine white girls. (Actually, some might like that. Are they hot?) And let's face it, most people would not room with that many people in that tight a space if they had a choice. Economically.

Of course, I'm a solitary type. I could be wrong. Maybe some people think it's fun.

Dave said...

Without going into definitions, in Atlanta "we" start with race, swearing we aren't, which can be ameliorated by class, read money.

I'm not from Atlanta. I suppose I can be class biased, though I'd call it bias based on proper behavior. I thought about adding a line that said I wouldn't mind living next to twelve, currently unemployed, Swedish Au Pairs and decided that the humor didn't quite fit. But I did think it. I've sinned in my heart.

Posol'stvo the Medved said...

Sinner. You and me both, Dave.

Jeni said...

Ahem -isn't the quote there actually "lusted" as opposed to sinned as stated by a certain once very well-known Georgian politician. Well, well-known I suppose to those of us in a certain age range which probably would eliminate many of the young pups of today.
Ok, I did some math here and at the square footage allotment given, were my family and I to have to abide by that, we would need to add 1,000 square footage to the house we live in -yes, six people in a house that is 1,360 sq foot is what we have. Based on my son-in-law's income potential working full-time, my daughter's potential income plus mine, were I still able to work, a house that size would run at a bare minimum near $250,000 (bare minimum, I said, remember that!) And, to afford said house, well our income level would have to increase by at least 150 to 200 percent -an event not likely to happen in my lifetime, nor in my kids! Of course, there are times when the parking area in front of this place can look a bit like a used car lot when the son-in-law is working on a vehicle he plans to resell or doing mechanic work for this or that person around town to earn a couple meager extra buckaroos. Makes me wonder if there is any place left to live that would be remotely considered affordable. And race, in this lily-white area doesn't even enter into the picture.

fermicat said...

My opinions generally fall center-left on the spectrum and I have to agree that I would not want to live next door to a house crammed full of people and cars. I do believe the rules make some allowance for immediate family, so you don't have to worry if you simply have a large number of children. But yes, those kind of living arrangements make property values fall and neighborhoods decline. I hope that it doesn't become a problem near my neighborhood, and I would approve of my county (DeKalb) doing something to prevent it. And yes, I also feel somewhat conflicted about my views on this.

Does anyone have a better solution? Maybe some creativity would help out here.

Monica said...

I'm completely off topic in a way although your post about the 12 guys and the detracting neighborhood inspired my comment:

I've moved to a small town where they seriously live SO MUCH CHEAPER than I ever thought a person could.

I love it here.

My daughter loves the extra money.

I planned to rent for a bit but I am SO looking to buy a house now.

WOOHOO!!